Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

04/03/2017 – Report – Bures United FC versus Colne Engaine FC





BURES UNITED FC:                                                3.

COLNE ENGAINE FC:                                               0.


Date:   Saturday 04th March 2017.                           Venue:                        Bures Recreation Ground, Bures


As is normal in my reporting duties I try to get to watch all of the new “club” teams so with a visit to Bures long overdue I duly travelled over to the picturesque Suffolk Village to watch the Division Three match against Colne Engaine, another new club team whom I had seen on their own patch back in early October. Both teams had progressed up from the Colchester & East Essex Football League and seem to have acquitted themselves well to life in the ESBFL with the home team well behind the rest of the league in fixtures played as they still involved in the Suffolk County Cup.


On a bright but overcast, cold and damp afternoon, the official for this Division One match was Robert Cox in a match that someone commented to me mid-half, was the Stour / Colne local derby and certainly players from both teams knew each other well!


Colne Engaine kicked off but a move started by Bailey led to Durey using his pace to get behind the Colne defence but crossing behind his fellow forwards allowing Colne to clear. A first foul by Fryer on Morris (J) led to the free kick being cleared by Tucker towards Durey, who gave chase, clearly the pace of the number seven could be key, to any home attack. Defender Messenger cleared a home attack up-field to Metson who laid the ball inside to Lawrence whose first time effort curled agonisingly wide. Bailey chased another long ball from keeper Waterfield, playing the ball into the path of Kenny who drew the keeper but placed the ball wide of the goal then Bailey over-ran the ball to keeper Rolfe from a through ball played by Durey and the home pressure increased as we reached the ten minute point. Colne were by no means out of this contest, they just needed to keep the ball and play the right pass without over-complicating things with a free-kick from Messenger reaching keeper Waterfield who returned the long ball with interest, even against the wind which was blowing off the river. Smith started another move from inside his own half finding Kenny then Hubbard got involved until Kenny was fouled by Messenger. Lawrence tracked back to get possession inside his own half and set off down the left side where Tucker did likewise to regain the ball for the home team.

On fifteen minutes Colne stopped another attack with Morris (A) cutting out a cross from Smith and defender Parker tried an ambitious shot from distance as his team approached the home goal then Metson controlled the ball on his chest, slipped past Fryer but found his cross blocked by Wood. A long throw-in from Fryer fell to Durey whose cross fell nicely to Tucker who blasted wide and as Colne regrouped to attack, Waterfield was quickly off his goal-line to collect an over-hit corner from Morris (A). A long ball out of defence by Nicholson led to Metson giving chase, however Dolling was well placed to defend when blocking the attempted cross. When Bures broke down the left side through Smith, defender Morris (A) was on hand to clear, then Rolfe was forced to make the first real save of the match diving low to his right to stop a shot from Bailey who was played in after good play between Kenny and Durey.

Bures opened their scoring account on twenty-seven minutes and it was a fine team goal too, Smith, twice, Kenny, Bailey and Hubbard were involved in some one touch football until the ball fell to JACK DUREY who slotted home from close range. A heavy fifty/fifty challenge involving Smith and Morris (J) led to the home player requiring, to leave the field of play after treatment and from the restart, Rolfe saved his team with a fine save after a mix up between Messenger and Amos which let Kenny through. Morris (J) tried a quick break down the left wing but Fryer was equal to the threat and Nicholson did likewise down the other wing beating two defenders but skied his attempted cross well wide. After thirty-seven minutes Morris (J), so far, along with Messenger, were the pick of the visitors players, made ground down the right side but Fryer defended well but Colne continued to pose a threat when Morris (J) had the ball.

Parker rifled another speculative effort towards goal where keeper Waterfield dived at full stretch to push the ball wide and quickly got up to catch the loose ball before it went out for a corner kick and Colne kept the renewed efforts with an attack involving Parker, Amos and finally Metson. On forty minutes Wanmer had to Sheppard Lawrence wide and having won possession cleared out for a throw-in taken by Parker to Lawrence with Wanmer again clearing out of defence. Two minutes later and the guile of Metson forced Wood into conceding a penalty when pulling Metson back, Morris (J) stepped up, left footed, to take the spot kick but keeper Waterfield dived low to his right to save low down by the post conceding a corner and the half ended with a late effort from Bailey which Rolfe saved with ease.


HALF-TIME:       1 – 0


Bures to kick-off, can they increase their lead or will Colne fight back, they probably deserved an equaliser until the home keeper made a fine save from the penalty award. Bailey prodded one effort wide and Dolling scuffed another off Messenger for a corner, cleared by Morris (J) to Metson who collected the ball, turned and ran at the home defence but having beaten the last defender tried to shoot but put the ball out for a throw-in! On fifty minutes Bures replaced the injured Smith with Howe and he immediately forced Yates to handle the ball thirty yards out, Hubbard shaped to take the free-kick but Morris (J) charged it down to break away himself. Bures regrouped to get the ball forward again and Howe chased down a long ball, passing Messenger and colliding with Rolfe the visitor’s keeper. Durey started the half just as he did during the first, chasing all forward balls and giving the Colne defence no time to dwell on the ball winning a corner off Messenger which keeper Rolfe managed to palm away leading to a second corner, no flag was raised by the Colne club linesman but the referee awarded the corner. Hubbard took the corner kick aiming the ball to the far side of the six yard box where FRED HOWE rose to head back across goal and into the net despite the headed effort of Nicholson standing on the line.

Numerous petty fouls crept into the game but Bures defended with keeper Waterfield saving from Metson and from his wind assisted clearance, Howe chased forward in an attempt to reach the long ball which bounced first on the penalty spot then travelled on to Rolfe who judged the trajectory of the well. When Parker and Morris (J) dived into a challenge, mid-half, on Durey, the referee cautioned Parker who despite pleading his innocence was the perpetrator. Hubbard took the free-kick hitting Morris (J) in the defensive wall and Bailey was cautioned for a foul on Morris (J) as play switched ends with Metson dragging his free-kick narrowly wide. Parker lost out to Durey when trying to clear out of defence with the corner taken by Hubbard being cleared by Messenger. Colne replaced Parker with Burrage and Fryer sent a long ball forward towards Durey who challenged for it with Messenger but only managed to lob the ball wide of the target.

Bures made it three goals to the good when Yates dithered on the ball losing out to JACK DUREY who ran on the score past the advancing Rolfe and Bures replaced Bailey with Stephens and Colne replaced Morris (A) with Hansey. Howe was cautioned for dissent and Kenny was cautioned for a poor challenge then a long clearance from Rolfe was headed back by Fryer and when Yates totally missed his attempted back-header Durey ran through to lob the keeper and unfortunately for him the cross-bar as well. Durey was again in the forefront of a home attack taking on Nicholson before crossing to Dolling who headed over the cross-bar. On eighty minutes Metson fouled Wanmer inside the Bures penalty area and from Waterfield’s long clearance Durey chased the ball down the left side where Messenger put in a strong attempt for a challenge, Durey kept his footing and ran forward to cross to keeper Rolfe with Messenger eventually receiving a caution for that attempted tackle. Hansey made a great tackle on Howe before team mate Messenger and Durey collided with him as well, meaning the injured player had to leave the field of play to regain his senses. In the final minute Rolfe made a fine save to deny Hubbard, this following a goalmouth scramble with Durey central to the initial set-up play.


FULL TIME:        3 – 0


Bures United FC ran out comfortable winners, they rode their luck in the first half with keeper Waterfield making two telling saves but with the direct running and prompting of Durey they had a match-winner. Colne Engaine FC huffed and puffed but could not really muster more than two chances all game, nevertheless they competed throughout to take some credit for their efforts. This win will put the home team in good spirits for their Suffolk FA Primary Cup “Semi-Final” match next Saturday at home to Adastral Park FC.


Now for my Man-of-the-Match selection, for Colne Engaine FC, Messenger defended well, Parker got stuck in, in midfield, and Morris (J) looked dangerous on the ball but other players needed to step up and help the teams cause. So my selection has to come from Bures United FC, defensively they looked sound, in midfield they won the crucial battles but in Durey they had a direct player who was prepared to chase any cause and with an eye for goal, he scored two but could so easily had more.




BURES UNITED FC:                                            Colours: Black & White Striped Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks.

Kurt Waterfield., Adam Dolling., Harry Fryer., Shane Wanmer., Jake Wood (C)., Darren Smith., Jack Durey., Jack Hubbard., Adam Kenny., Thomas Bailey., Connor Tuckey.


Managers:                      Denis Handley.

Used Substitutes:             Fred Howe., Peter Stephens.



COLNE ENGAINE FC:                                          Colours: Red Shirts, Red Shorts and Red Socks.

Paul Rolfe., Karl Parker., Taylor Nicholson., Curtis Amos (C)., Adam Morris., Harrison Yates., Joe Pearce., Adam Messenger., Carl Meson., Ben Lawrence., Joe Morris


Acing Manager:               Adam Morris.

Used Substitutes:             Callum Hansey., James Burrage.

Unused Substitutes:         Joshua Wells.



Referee:                        Robert Cox                                 (Holland-on-sea)


Man of the Match:          Jack DUREY                                   (BURES UNITED FC)




Request to Club / Fixture Secretaries


This season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advice any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 3:00pm from:        March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.

Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:    

Leave a Reply