Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

18/03/2017 – Report – Hatfield Peverel FC Reserves versus Kelvedon Social FC Reserves





HATFIELD PEVERAL FC RESERVES:                       6.

KELVEDON SOCIAL FC RESERVES:                       0.


Date:   Saturday 18th March 2017.   Venue:                  The Keith Bigden Memorial Ground, Hatfield Peverel.

At the third attempt to find a game that had not been postponed and with teams playing that I had not watched this season I found my way over to Hatfield Peverel FC where their mid-table Reserve Team were to play rock bottom local rivals Kelvedon Social FC Reserves.

On an overcast, blustery and windy afternoon the match official for this Division Two match was Jack Ridge, who literally lives just down the road from this venue, he is another young referee who in the two games I have watched him officiate this season has acquitted himself well to the ESBFL.

Hatfield Peverel kicked off and immediately won a corner, taken short by O’Brien to Smart, whose cross was headed over by sixteen year old Dawson (O) when I believed if he had let the cross continue it would have beaten the back-pedalling Wood in goal for the visitors. Smart was quickly in action again running in from the left side towards the right before shooting wide, somewhat greedy act perhaps but he does have a lethal finish if on target. On five minutes a free-kick taken by O’Brien was blocked by Chammack and the home team kept possession without really threatening the visitors, goal but there were still eighty-five minutes remaining! Another corner from O’Brien was headed out by Kane but only to LOUIS SMART who rifled the loose ball home past a crowd of defenders with keeper Wood probably unsighted. Smart, this time on a break forward was thwarted by a fine one handed save from Wood as his cross-cum-shot flashed across the goal.

After fifteen minutes and to be fair to Kelvedon, they were trying to play a passing game out of defence but invariably it broke down on or near the half-way line meaning they immediately had to back-track and defend, usually in numbers. It was about twenty-five minutes into the first half that home keeper Dawson actually touched the ball and this was to take a goal-kick and as play progressed forward a combination tackle between Ketteridge and Ripper scythed down Beattie about twenty-five yards from goal but the free-kick taken by Curtis failed to clear the defensive wall. When Kelvedon did get over the half-way line a long and high ball forward from Izycki was easily fielded by Dawson on the penalty spot and his clearance found Court who had drifted forward to take on the retreating defence and win a corner off Ripper. Once again O’Brien took the corner kick finding the unmarked PATRICK WILKINSON who swept the ball home in style despite being a central defender. Smart started the next attack for Hatfield Peverel and from his cross from the left wing Court ran in to head the ball goalwards only for Wood to make another fine save and Wood was again his teams saviour when he saved a low shot from O’Brien with Wood excelling again to stop the shot from the rebound from Smart.

Kelvedon launched a rare attack after thirty-five minutes with Stone running forward but his attempted cross was blocked by the chest of Wilkinson and Pace skied the loose ball wide. O’Brien set Curtis away passing to Dawson (O) who blasted the ball well wide of the goal with the Kelvedon defence going missing. Smart took another run down the left side and from his deep cross keeper Wood punched clear only to get pole-axed by the incoming Dawson (O) who received a yellow card for his over exuberance. Dawson (O) was again involved when he clattered into Dow who exacted some retribution in the next tackle by fouling Dawson (O) twenty yards from goal. O’Brien took the centrally positioned free kick, keeper Wood failed to hold the rising ball which crashed against the cross-bar, dropping to hit the keeper again and CHRIS ALLEN was on hand to bundle the ball over the goal-line and the home team held a three goals to nil half-time lead.

HALF-TIME:       3 – 0

A somewhat one sided match so far so could the visitors raise their game or would the goals continue to flow from the home team and Kelvedon replaced Ripper with Reilly, probably the second oldest outfield player I have seen this season and his team-mate Izycki won three consecutive tackles to keep possession before playing a long ball forward which nobody was even going to bother to chase. At the other end Smart was clearly relishing his freedom in attack and he was denied once again by Izycki who had to use a fairly robust challenge to win the ball back. On fifty minutes a speculative shot from Ketteridge, for Kelvedon, forced keeper Dawson (K) to step across his goal to catch the ball but it was their first shot at goal. Ten minutes into the second half and Smart played two, one-two’s with Dawson (O) before shooting wide but good approach work once again by the youthful home team.

On fifty-seven minutes a plethora of substitutions saw Hatfield replace Beattie and Dawson (O) with Nial and Gregory respectively and Kelvedon changed Pace with Newenham getting his chance. Just past the hour mark and Smart, was again seen running across the penalty area and not for the first time shooting wide of the post. Wood made another excellent, almost point blank save from a shot from Nial and another cross from Smart forced Reilly to concede a corner, which was taken by Smart but so hard it went out for throw-in on the other side. With twenty minutes to go Newenham set off on a long chase forward but keeper Dawson (K) used some nifty footwork to keep the ball away from the Kelvedon substitute and set his team going again. Five minutes later and Izycki fouled Curtis just on the edge of the penalty area with Wood saving the driven free-kick taken by Smart. Another attack from the home team through Court and Gregory saw Smart have his shot saved by Wood and there followed another substitution with Fitzgerald (J) being replaced by Sayers.

All the game so far, Smart had been foiled by numerous saves by keeper Wood, but the keeper was powerless to stop the home team going further ahead when LOUIS SMART ran through, drew the keeper, who managed to parry the ball upwards and behind him but was unable to stop the ball rolling into the net for goal number four. This two player contest continued with Wood saving firstly at the feet of Smart then getting up to block the shot from the rebound. Kelvedon got their first corner after eighty-five minutes when Gregory was forced to give one away under pressure from Stone, with Kane taking the corner which was cleared. A mazy run forward by O’Brien led to his shot curling wide of the left hand upright, however, the resultant goal-kick was poor and fell to LOUIS SMART who ran forward and had the simplest of chances to complete his hat-tick. Two minutes before the end a run down the right wing by Court led to LOUIS SMART turning the ball into the net for number six for his team and they could also have added to that tally before the final whistle.

FULL TIME:        6 – 0


Probably not the most inspiring of games I have seen this season, two Reserve Teams in a lower division, the home team have improved lately so I did expect them to win whereas Kelvedon Social FC Reserves have yet to register a point. By shipping six goals, which could easily have been more they are the second league team to have conceded more than one hundred goals and with two league matches remaining are probably looking for the summer break.


Now for my Man-of-the-Match choice, two players stood out, keeper Wood for Kelvedon Social, not sure he is a regular keeper but he made save after save to keep the score at a decent level and then there is Smart, for Hatfield Peverel who played like a player on a mission by scoring four goals and missing as many again but his all round play from start to finish makes him my choice this week.




HATFIELD PEVEREL FC RESERVES:                     Colours: Blue & Black Striped Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks.

Keith Dawson., Scott Fitzgerald., James Fitzgerald., Grady O’Brien (C)., Chris Allen., Patrick Wilkinson., James Court., Jack Beattie., Luca Curtis., Owen Dawson., Louis Smart.


Managers:                      Keith Dawson.

Used Substitutes:             Sean Sayers., Lewis Nial., James Gregory.



KELVEDON SOCIAL FC RESERVES:                      Colours: Red & Black Striped Shirts, Black Shorts and Blue Socks.

Nigel Wood., Steven Hart., Eddie Kane., Jamie Ripper., Joe Dow (C)., Jared Chammack., Siyam Izycki., Aaron Pace., Thomas Stone., Jack Mason., Shane Ketteridge.


Acting Manager:              Nigel Wood.

Used Substitutes:             Antony Reilly., Harry Newenham.



Referee:                        Jack Ridge                                  (Boreham)


Men of the Match:          Louis SMART                                  (HATFIELD PEVEREL FC RESERVES)




Request to Club / Fixture Secretaries


This season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advice any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 3:00pm from:        March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.

Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:    

Leave a Reply