Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

16/08/2017 – REPORT – Coggeshall United FC versus Weeley Athletic FC





COGGESHALL UNITED FC:       4        WEELEY ATHLETIC FC:            1


Date:   Wednesday 16th August 2017.                                 Venue: The Crops, Coggeshall


For some clubs, the new Football League season kicked off last Saturday, I could not cover a match myself as I had a pre-arranged family commitment however fifteen league fixtures were staged with a strange mix of high scoring games!

This season, the League welcomes five new Member Clubs: Colne Athletic FC., New Field FC., Oyster FC., Ramsey Mill FC and Rowhedge FC whilst welcoming back Hedinghams United FC Reserves., Tiptree Jobserve FC Reserves., Tollesbury FC and Wormingford Wanderers FC Reserves, we wish them all well.


So for the second evening in a row I travelled to watch a match, this time over at The Crops, Coggeshall, to watch my club Weeley Athletic FC take on the renamed Coggeshall United FC, I have to say their pitch looks magnificent and clearly the influence of Thurlow Nunn football has meant improvements to both ground and clubhouse. Neither team had played on the opening day but word travels quickly when things are going well and Coggeshall under the management of Cliff Akurang have a young team, all under twenty-five, who clearly have designs on finishing high in the Premier Division.


Coggeshall kicked-off with the floodlights already beaming down as the evening closed in and Duffus was forced to head a cross out for the first corner of the match and when the corner kick came over Duffus headed upwards with Davis clearing left footed downfield. Law (O) almost put Nash through but the alert home keeper Walker was out to the forwards feet but Weeley had created a decent opening however Coggeshall were denied when Cosgrove was caught off-side from a break by Curtis, but on eight minutes Coggeshall broke swiftly from the half-way line through Cosgrove with the Weeley defence calling for off-side but the Assistant Referee waved play-on, a marginal decision let’s say and from the cut-back from Cosgrove the ball was despatched past Freeman by DAN McCULLOCK. The Weeley response came from Law (O) who tried his luck with a shot from thirty yards out but the ball drifted over and wide but spaces were there to attack. Nash tried to set up McLean with defender Clark clearing and Nash was unfortunate with a shot that almost grazed the outside of the right hand upright.

With fifteen minutes gone Coggeshall increased their lead when McCullock drove at the retreating defence playing the ball wide to AARON COSGROVE who cut inside before hammering the ball through the legs of keeper, Freeman. Five minutes later and Weeley were awarded a penalty kick when a throw –in taken by Law (J) was headed on at the near post by Nash to Henshaw who was upended by a defender, leading to ROSS NASH steering the spot kick wide of the diving keeper. Coggeshall were again on the attack running at the Weeley defence and Duffus covered to concede a corner-kick which was cleared downfield where Nash was sandwiched between Borozan and Rowe leading to a free-kick taken by Law (O) who forced keeper Walker to punch clear for a corner-kick.

A foul by Marriot led to a free-kick taken by Cosgrove, cleared by Findlay with Nash forcing an error from Borozan with Law (J) just unable to strike the ball as it ran away from him. Cosgrove was a constant danger on the right side for Coggeshall and when given space he fired wide, just as Loveridge did minutes later and when Cosgrove fired the other side of the goal the half ended with Freeman catching and clearing a corner kick.


HALF-TIME:       2 – 1


From the restart Weeley attacked with Nash twice denied when shots were by blocked either Borozan or Rowe and Marriott charged forward chasing a loose ball that just reached keeper Walker before Marriott clattered into him, no foul was given with both players committed to winning the ball fairly. Law (J) found Law (O) just outside the penalty area but his rising shot failed to trouble the keeper and on fifty-three minutes Clover was replaced by Whittaker whilst Gilder was spoken too by the referee. Ten minutes into the half and an error by keeper Freeman, when dropping the ball a few yards out allowed the persistent and unmarked DAN McCULLOCK to side foot home from close range, a cruel blow for the visitors as they had acquitted themselves well since half-time. Coggeshall replaced Curtis with Kabashi with thirty minutes to go and a fine run and cross from Henshaw, from a McLean pass saw Nash head straight at keeper, Walker.

Coggeshall made their second substitution with twenty minutes remaining replacing Cosgrove with Cant and almost immediately Coggeshall scored again, this time Findlay seemed to tread on the ball, losing possession to the DAN McCULLOCK who had the simplest of chances to increase the home side lead and complete his hat-trick. With just fifteen minutes to go the efforts of the game were beginning to show on some of the Weeley players however they did not give up and continued to fight for every ball and defended stoutly despite being under some real pressure. At this point Weeley replaced Law (O) with Worsfold whilst Coggeshall replaced keeper Walker with King and talking of keepers, Freeman made a fine save to deny McCullock whose header was destined for the top corner. On eighty minutes Freeman saved again from a close range McCullock header after the forward had eluded his defender, there followed a series of corners all successfully defended by Weeley who made their last change bringing on Fox for Law (J).


FULL TIME:        4 – 1


This evening game was always going to be a difficult start for the visitors, a number of players have still to become available but those who appeared played their hearts out, whereas Coggeshall seem to have drafted in a new squad of young and skilful players who if they continue to attack with the flair shown tonight will cause problems for a number of teams. No game for Coggeshall this Saturday but Weeley travel to Barnston AFC at least that gets their longest away trip out of the way early in the season.


Now, for my Man-of-the-Match selection, with three goals and for being a constant threat then Dan McCullock of Coggeshall gets the vote this week.




COGGESHALL UNITED FC:                      Colours: Red & Black Shirts, Black Shorts and Red Socks.

Matthew Walker., John Clark., Abednego Mensah (C)., Dominic Rowe., Teo Borozan., Lewis Soraf., Aaron Cosgrove., Jack Curtis., Dan McCullock., Ricky Loveridge., Dean Gilder.


Manager:                        Cliff Akurang.

Assistant Manager:           Brian Sawyer

Used Substitutes:             Rigers Kabashi., Jordan King., Adrian Cant.

Unused Substitutes:         Tom Blackwell., Cliff Akurang


WEELEY ATHLETIC FC:                          Colours: Orange & Black Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks.

Mitchell Freeman., Tyler Marriott., Steven Davis., Jamie Duffus., Daniel Findlay (W)., Jamie Law., Oliver Law., Jarrad Clover., Ross Nash., Russell Mclean., Liam Henshaw.


Manager:                        Fred Fuller

Assistant Manager:           Richard Downes.

Used Substitutes:             Harry Worsfold., Billy Whittaker., Jamie Fox.

Unused Substitutes:         Jimmy Griffin


Referee:                        Martin Weavers               (Witham).

Assistant Referee’s:          Simon Lyons                   (Sible Hedingham).

and       Neil Strachan                   (Witham).


Man of the Match:          Dan McCULLOCK             (COGGESHALL UNITED FC)





Reminder to Club / Fixture Secretaries


Once again this season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advice any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 3:00pm from:        August to October

KO is 2:00pm in:             November, December & January

KO is 2:30pm in:             February

KO is 3:00pm from:        March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.


Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:    


Clubs are reminded that the following documents are all available on this website under Clubs / Documents etc :


ESBFL Handbook,

Player Registration Form,

Player Transfer Form,

Match Postponement Form,

Referee – Low Mark Form

Leave a Reply