Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

08/05/2018 – REPORT – Little Oakley FC Reserves versus Coggeshall United FC





Date:   Tuesday 8th May 2018.                      Venue:            War Memorial Ground, Little Oakley.


An evening match at Little Oakley saw these two teams finish their respective league matches, for Little Oakley FC Reserves this season had been a season of consolidation having stepped up a division to take the place of their First Team who had progressed into the Thurlow Nunn, Division One, they will finish seventh. Coggeshall United FC have been at the top or second almost the whole season and after their fine victory away to Gas Recreation FC on Saturday they knew that a win by more than two goals would take them three points above “The Gas” with the same goal-difference, any more than two goals would be a bonus. Coggeshall added two senior players, Shaw and Monk, to their squad which still sported twelve of the squad used at Bromley Road, clearly the remit was goals, goals, and more goals!


The appointed Referee for this evening match was Brian Forbes whose Assistants were Nathan Williamson and Maison Urwin and with little trouble or controversy they oversaw a competitive match that had many incidences of quality play.


The home team kicked-off but Rowe for Coggeshall sent the ball forward to Okosi who was tempted into a shot from thirty yards, a lively start and it was Okosi who was found by Shaw on the left side and from his cross, keeper Sims held the high ball with Cripps breathing down his neck. The next Coggeshall attack started with Clarke who found Mensah then Shaw joined in to send Monk galloping away before cutting inside with Eagle reading the danger and intercepting the intended pass to Cripps. On seven minutes Mensah found Okosi who crashed a rising shot against the right hand upright but Little Oakley composed themselves to push forward through Mayhew who found Wall in support but off-side, then Eade played in Mayhew again to force a throw-in. Kioussis fouled Shaw on the half-way line with Soraf sending a towering free-kick towards the penalty area with Eagle heading clear, then Kabashi sent Monk away but Roots stuck to his task to dispossess the winger, conceding a corner. Kabashi took the corner and keeper, Sims punched the ball away for another corner, taken this time, in the twelfth minute, by Okosi with JAMIE SHAW running in at the near post to head home. Young home defender Adams took out Shaw who required treatment, Soraf took the free-kick towards Cripps and Okosi but the ball went out for a goal-kick. From the goal-kick taken by Sims, Dalziel was adjudged to have climbed over Rodger on the half-way line, Kabashi cleared the free-kick to Monk who drove forward at pace to beat three retreating home players to find Cripps but keeper Sims was warming to the task and made a fine save at the feet of Cripps and a corner was awarded.

Roots started a move by Little Oakley passing to Eagle who sent a long ball forward to Mayhew who was matched for pace by Soraf, who, for a tall defender, stuck to his job, and actually, won a throw-in off Mayhew. Adams did well when defending against Cripps then a clearance by Soraf found Mensah with Shaw finding Cripps who had drifted wide but Eagle blocked the shot at the expense of another corner. Little Oakley were now finding most routes forward covered by eager Coggeshall defenders and they had to make do by defending, Rowe and Kabashi linked up to win the ball off Wall and from a long cross Shaw headed over the cross-bar, and another chance goes begging. On twenty-five minutes the pace and trickery of Okosi gave Adams and Kioussis problems and somehow Shaw blasted over the cross-bar from only six yards out, another gilt-edged chance! Mensah fouled Mayhew with Cripps being spoken too, not sure why, Mayhew took the free-kick with Roots heading goal-wards only for keeper, Joyce, who had rarely seen the ball so far, saving at the foot of the near post.

On thirty minutes, Soraf played the ball long to Monk who was fouled by Rusby, Dalziel struck the thirty-yard free-kick goal-wards where Cripps and Shaw put pressure on the defence and with keeper Sims only parrying the loose ball the defensive hesitancy allowed LEWIS SORAF to steal in and head home goal number two which meant the goal difference with “The Gas” was now level. Coggeshall kept up their attacking options, Mensah found Shaw who released Monk who rounded Roots and forced keeper Sims to save low to his left side with the keeper recovering quickly to collect the rebound. Kabashi and Okosi linked up again with Adams conceding a corner, taken by Rowe but much too long and it was clear that Monk on the right side was going to see plenty of the ball down that wing. Mensah fouled Rusby, thirty-five yards from goal, the free-kick taken by Mayhew was headed clear by Dalziel with Clarke catching an accidental high boot to the face from Rusby. Five minutes before half-time and Soraf chased back again as Eade threatened for Little Oakley, winning the goal-kick. The home team produced their best move when Rusby and Mayhew linked up to find Wall off-side even though keeper Joyce made the save. A minute later and Cripps was through, one-on-one with home keeper who parried the effort and forced Cripps wide before he crossed to Shaw whose header was smartly saved by keeper, Sims. As the half ended, Monk won a corner off Roots, taken by Rowe with Cripps heading wide, so would Coggeshall rue not taking more of their created chances, as the home keeper was doing his level best to thwart their efforts.


HALF-TIME:        0 – 2.


Little Oakley replaced Wall during the break with Duly taking his place in midfield and Coggeshall re-started this match having replaced Clarke with Blackwell, looking to improve their “goals for” tally and in the first minute Adams received a caution for a second un-timely challenge, this time on Okosi. Duly started the first real home attack of the half finding Rodger who won a corner off Blackwell and when play switched to the other end Shaw forced another decent save off Sims for a corner. That was the last action by Shaw who was replaced by Adeyemi on forty-eight minutes, a long free-kick from Dalziel found Cripps whose control was good but the shot which followed careered over the cross-bar. Soraf used his deceptive speed to counter a break by Eade and the pace of the game had not dropped off at all. Mensah was fouled right on the edge of the penalty area, Okosi lined up his shot only for keeper, Sims to make another fine save before Eagle cleared the defensive lines for the home team. Ten minutes into the half and Little Oakley made their second substitution bringing on Allen for Roots, another example of a club bringing youth through their ranks, another, Mayhew showed some committed industry to track back and win the ball before getting forward to cross to Rodger who pushed the ball wide for a goal-kick.

Another long ball from Dalziel set Adeyemi on a chase with Eagle who used his experience to play the ball back to keeper, Sims, and a period of head tennis between Mensah, Adeyemi and Monk finished when keeper Sims intervened and he kept up his mission by denying Rowe whose long cross was destined for Cripps. Mensah fouled Duly on sixty-two minutes but Soraf headed clear and forward to Mensah, then Adeyemi fed Cripps whose low driven shot was saved low down by keeper, Sims. With twenty minutes to go Coggeshall replaced Kabashi with Madden however, Mayhew raced away to cross to Eade who fired over the cross-bar, then Rodger ran at Soraf before cutting inside onto his right foot and forcing Joyce into a flying save which Dalziel swept clear as Eade approached. The game was still end-to-end, plenty of good football from both teams with little or no intervention from the match official who had let the game flow as much as possible.

A corner from Okosi found the head of Cripps but Sims saved by tipping the ball out for another corner, taken again by Okosi, this time Sims elected to punch clear but Dalziel tried an overhead kick which looked destined for the top corner until Sims intervened to tip the ball away. Another Coggeshall move was started by Mensah, then Cripps led to Monk sending a bouncing ball just wide allowing Little Oakley to replace Mayhew with Eades. On seventy-one minutes Coggeshall scored their third goal, Cripps set the ball back to BEN MADDEN who smashed a curling shot wide of the keeper’s dive, clipping the far post before nestling in the net for the best goal of the night. A few minutes later and it was four goals for Coggeshall, Monk flicked the ball on and TAYO ADEYEMI strode forward to beat the advancing keeper however, young substitute defender Allen, who had only been on the pitch for just over twenty minutes was injured and was lifted off the pitch. Rusby fouled Cripps with Blackwell taking the free-kick which keeper Sims clutched before being fouled by Cripps. As we approached the last few minutes Madden was cautioned for a foul on Rusby and from the free-kick played wide to Rodger he showed a quick pair of heels, running against Mensah, no slouch himself, before dropping inside from the left wing to strike a fine shot than cannoned off the post with the keeper, Joyce, well beaten.


FULL TIME:         0 – 4.


This was another entertaining match, between two footballing teams, Little Oakley can be proud of the effort put in by their players against a very useful Coggeshall team who showed why they are in the top two of the division, in fact they went top courtesy of the three points won and now having those two extra goals difference. All eyes will now focus on the Hatfield Peverel FC versus Gas Recreation FC match to be played on Saturday 12th May 2018 where “The Gas” need to win by two or more goals to snatch the Premier Division title.


For clarification, Rule 12(A) quotes:


“Team rankings within the competition will be decided by points with three points to be awarded for a win and one point each for a drawn match. The teams gaining the highest number of points in their respective Divisions at the conclusion shall be adjudged the winners. Matches must not be played for double points.

In circumstances where two or more teams are equal on points team rankings shall be determined by goal difference where the goals scored against by each team shall be deducted from the goals scored by that team and the largest positive difference shall be placed the highest. In the event of the goal difference being equal the highest placed team shall be the team which has scored the most goals. In the event that two or more teams have the same goal difference and have scored the same number of goals then the highest placed team shall be the team which has won the most matches.

In the event of the two teams still being equal the team which has the better playing record against the other team in their head to head Competition matches during the Season will be the highest placed team”.


Now, for my Man-of-the-Match choice, for Coggeshall United FC, this was more a team effort, everyone worked for another, highlight was a cracking goal from Madden with Shaw, Soraf and Adeyemi making up the tally whilst for Little Oakley FC  Reserves there were good displays from Adams, Harte, Rusby, Rodger and Mayhew all products of the youth set-up at the club so who did I miss, well keeper Sam Sims, who I had not seen before, produced a sparkling display of goal-keeping, beaten four times but saved more than that at various other periods of the game, so he gets my vote this evening




LITTLE OAKLEY FC RESERVES:                          Colours: Blue & Black Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks.

Sam Sims., Conor Adams., Daniel Roots., Reece Hare., Nathan Kioussis (C)., Daryl Eagle., Chris Wall., Brandon Rusby., Leroy Eade., Gregory Rodger., Luke Mayhew.


Manager:                        James Good.

Used Substitutes:             Jonathan Allen., Jamie Eades., Liam Duly

Unused Substitutes:          Cameron Wallace., Richard Traynor.



COGGESHALL UNITED FC:                                 Colours: Red & Black Shirts, Black Shorts and Red Socks.

Daniel Joyce., John Clarke., Dominic Rowe., Rigers Kabashi., Josh Dalziel., Lewis Soraf., Tom Monk., Abednego Mensah (C)., Sam Cripps., Jamie Shaw., Marley Okosi.


Manager:                        Cliff Akurang.

Assistant Manager:           Scott Hiskey.

Used Substitutes:             Tayo Adeyemi., Tom Blackwell., Ben Madden

Unused Substitutes:          Cliff Akurang.



Referee:                         Brian Forbes                   (Colchester)

Assistants:                      N. Williamson                  (Colchester)

and                               Maison Urwin                  (Harwich)



Man of the Match:           Sam SIMS.                         (LITTLE OAKLEY FC RESERVES)

Leave a Reply