Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

09/03/2019 – REPORT – Cressing United FC versus Tiptree Engaine FC

Match Report                                                                        Written by: Spencer Hume

Essex and Suffolk Border League Division One 

Saturday 9th March 2019

Cressing United FC v Tiptree Engaine FC

Michael Runicles Tiptree Engaine FC travelled to Ivan Goodey’s Cressing United FC in a big game in Division One. The visitors have to, win, currently in 2nd place but the title is in their hands and Engaine can’t afford any slip ups. Cressing on the other hand are in good form, 4 wins in the last 6 and sit in 4th.

The home side got us underway and the horrible windy conditions were already causing problems. The first shot on target was on the 10th minute and it was for the away side, Harry Runicles with a ball to Taylor Warden on the edge of the box who cut inside of his man and fired at goal but that shot was comfortable for Graham Smith.
The away side were dominating the first 20 minutes of this game and came close to breaking the deadlock when a loose ball fell to Captain, Ryan Hart on the edge of the box, Hart opened up and fired at goal, but his effort went straight to Smith.
Cressing had a chance of their own on the 22nd minute, good play by Copas and Thorndyke saw Thorndyke play a ball too James King on the edge of the box but he’s effort was fired over the goal.
Taylor Warden was causing problems all afternoon for Cressing and he came close to opening the scoring when got in behind the defence and looked to chip Smith, but Smith stood tall and comfortably caught.
On 35 minutes the deadlock was broken, and it was the away side who had a deserved lead, Jack Szmodics with a corner which met the head off Jack Higgleton who headed straight to Charlie Prow who 6 yards out headed home to give Engaine the lead.
Cressing United 0-1 Tiptree Engaine
2 minutes later and the score should have been 1-1, Craig Copas with a excellent through ball to Luke Thorndyke who was in behind, Harry Owen came rushing off his line but Thorndyke took the ball past him, took an extra touch and fired at goal but fired straight at Elliot Aves on the line and Kyle Bergin came and cleared the danger. A huge let off for Engaine.
2 minutes later and Engaine almost punished Cressing, Harry Runicles with an excellent tackle on the Cressing defender and Runicles got through on goal but he scuffed his effort and Smith collected easily.
Michael Runicles then had a great chance when he volleyed a loose ball at goal but a great save by Smith to deny Engaine a 2nd.
With only a couple of minutes remaining before half time, Engaine had a brilliant chance to double their lead, another excellent corner by Jack Szmodics met the head of the Charlie Prow whose header bounced down and Harry Runicles volleyed at goal, but Smith stood strong and made an excellent save but the rebound fell to Michael Runicles who fired wide.

HT: Cressing United FC 0-1 Tiptree Engaine FC

The away side got underway for the second half and within 2 minutes, Engaine had doubled their lead, Elliot Aves with a throw to David Quinney, Quinney Headed back to Aves, who got down the by-line and crossed a good ball to the edge of the box and on the half volley Harry Runicles fired past Smith and into the bottom right corner to double Engaine’s lead.
Cressing United 0-2 Tiptree Engaine
Taylor Warden once again causing issues for United and came close with an effort which went wide.
Substitute David Pomphrett came on for Engaine and was in action straight away when he latched onto a long ball and Pomphrett got into the box and fired at goal, but his effort was straight at Smith.
On the 65th minute Engaine were awarded a penalty and it was Harry Runicles who was fouled, Runicles got into the box and was fouled by both Sam White & Matt Weston. Harry Runicles stepped up and fired into the bottom left corner to get his 2nd and Engaine’s 3rd.
Cressing United 0-3 Tiptree Engaine
Tiptree then had a great chance to make it 4 when Jack Higgleton made a fantastic long diagonal ball to the edge of the box which met the head off David Pomphrett who guided his header to the far corner but unfortunately for Engaine his header went just past the post.
82 minutes on the clock and Cressing had a goal back, Craig Copas with a great ball over the top to Luke Thorndyke who went through and lobbed Harry Owen who was off his line, to grab Cressing a goal back.
Cressing United 1-3 Tiptree Engaine
With a couple of minutes remaining Pomphrett had another good chance to make it 4 when he was sent through on goal 1 on 1 but Pomphrett fired straight at Graham Smith. And with that the referee blew for full time.

FT: Cressing United FC 1-3 Tiptree Engaine FC

A great win for Engaine, who definitely deserved their victory as well. Cressing didn’t really get into the game. With Flitch winning, the result still keeps Engaine in 2nd but their title hopes are still in their hands. Some big games coming up!

MOTM: Charlie Prow (Tiptree Engaine)

MOTM: Graham Smith (Cressing United)

Cressing United LINE UP| Graham Smith, Tom James, Darren Stone, Sam White, Matt Weston, Tim Howlett, Luke Thorndyke, James King, Craig Copas, Luke Bearman, Daniel Hume

SUBS| Redmond Carney, George Stafford

Tiptree Engaine LINE UP| Harry Owen, Elliot Aves, Jack Higgleton, Charlie Prow, Ryan Hart, David Quinney, Harry Runicles, Jack Szmodics, Michael Runicles, Taylor Warden, Kyle Bergin

SUBS| Chris Webster, Ryan Higgleton, David Pomphrett, Leighton Galvin.

Leave a Reply