Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

15/09/2018 – REPORT – Tiptree Jobserve FC “A” versus Elmden Rovers FC





TIPTREE JOBSERVE FC “A”:    3.                 ELMDEN ROVERS FC:     1.


Date:   Saturday 15th September 2018.       Venue:            Thurstable School, Tiptree (4G).


I suppose the question on Saturday was where do you play football, well on grass you might say but at Thurstable School, Tiptree they have upgraded the dated “3G” pitch to a new “4G” version and from the side-lines it looks very good, big and flat but if I’m honest the bounce of the ball is deceptive, it stands up rather than runs on and players find it hard to adapt and it must be hard on the ankles and knees as well, where sliding tackles are done at personal risk of grazes / burns!


Tiptree Jobserve FC “A”, were a late team addition for this season, the clubs Reserves, who played in the ESBFL, Division Three last season, had moved over to the Essex Senior League Reserve Section but the club had sufficient players to run three Saturday teams, hence the late accepted, application. Elmden Rovers FC, based at Vista Road, Clacton, were formally members of the ESBFL, changed their name to Clacton United FC but with a strong youth section have encouraged those older players to step up from Youth football to adult football, we welcome both clubs back into Division Three. At the start of play both teams had almost identical playing records, two victories, a draw and a defeat with the home team just ahead in seventh position due to a better goal difference.


Today’s match official was young Rhys Collins who started his adult refereeing career in the ESBF last season and is already seeking promotion, we wish him well.


Elmden kicked-off with, what looked like a very young team whereas Tiptree sported several players with a lot of experience that might prove to be the deciding factor in this mid-table clash. The first free-kick fell to Tiptree after a foul by Baker on Kent, taken by Driver but straight to keeper, O’Brien and from his long clearance Elmden looked to attack with their youthful pace, especially Tulloch-Marsh who ran onto a flicked header from Justice (B) but the experienced Hudson had read the danger and cleared forward. Baker for Elmden found Justice (B) who set Tulloch-Marsh away down the right side beating Parfitt to find Brown (P) whose deep cross towards Tulloch-Marsh was cleared. This start by Elmden looked promising but Tiptree woke up and the old heads of Driver and Harvey started to cause problems with defender Baker having to come across the pitch to stop a home attack. A run and cross from Justice (J) found Justice (B) who beat Kent to the bouncing ball to cross towards Ganderton whose first-time shot was blocked on the edge of the penalty area by Kent. On nine minutes Clark for Tiptree pulled up with a muscular injury and was replaced by Bygrave but Elmden were slightly on top until the twelfth minute when a poor clearance from keeper O’Brien fell at the feet of Harvey who strode forward only to be upended by O’Brien who had made a genuine attempt to smother the ball, just as well as technically, being the last man, he only received a caution, but DEAN HARVEY stroked home the penalty award and give the home team the lead.

Buoyed by this goal, Tiptree pushed forward again with Driver and Harvey forcing keeper, O’Brien into a hurried clearance back to Driver who found Taylor whose shot on the turn was saved by keeper, O’Brien. Ganderton for Elmden worked his way down the right side forcing a save from keeper, Avent, with the loose ball falling to Justice (J) whose first-time effort curled just too wide for a goal-kick. A fine break from Billimore down the left side was stopped when he was fouled by Woods, Driver took the free-kick curing the dipping ball over the defensive wall but also the frame of the goal. Taylor, down the right side for Tiptree, cut inside Chandler to shoot, forcing keeper, O’Brien to save low at the near post with Sheridan taking the resulting corner which was followed by two more as Elmden struggled to clear the ball. Bygrave fouled Tulloch-Marsh, but Pym over-hit the first of several long free-kicks, the ball going out for a goal-kick, another Pym free-kick found Justice (B) but his shot from the edge of the penalty area was charged down by Kent for a corner. The long-strides of Harvey took him beyond Woods but Elmden cleared the danger getting the ball forward to Tulloch-Marsh who was pushed off the ball by Bygrave, Pym took the free-kick which dipped just after it had cleared the cross-bar, then Tulloch-Marsh chased back to foul Bygrave, a bit of tit-for-tat” but Tiptree played the ball short before building another attack spear-headed by Driver and Harvey. Tiptree should have increased their lead just before thirty minutes, Sheridan but the ball through for Driver, no off-side flag was raised but Driver was thwarted by the parried save from keeper, O’Brien advancing quickly off his goal-line with Driver heading the rebound over the keeper and goal-wards before Humphries got back to clear and this was followed by a clash of head between Cannon and Brown (P) which forced both players off the pitch after treatment.

Elmden needed to show a bit more urgency in attack but when in possession they just lacked that final touch or control and to a degree were bullied off the ball perhaps due to a lack of confidence. Taylor, for Tiptree broke down the right side once again drifting inside to thread the ball between the last defenders however both Billimore and Driver had strayed off-side and from the long clearance from keeper, O’Brien Tiptree defender Kent headed back to his keeper, Avent. Elmden gained a corner off Bygrave, taken by Tulloch-Marsh which was cleared back to the same player whose second cross was cleared by Sheridan. Keeper, O’Brien launched long down-field to Justice (B) whose control was good finding Chandler only for Ganderton to get caught in an off-side position. When Woods fouled Taylor, it was an obvious foul to me, Pym kicked the ball away to receive a caution, a stupid act really, it’s all about keeping your head in these types of games, however the free-kick taken by Taylor flew direct to keeper O’Brien. Another foul by Pym on Taylor led to another free-kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the penalty area, taken left-footed by Sheridan with the ball curling just over the far post/cross-bar, a close call. Elmden were often too eager to win the ball and in the process committed numerous fouls, mostly on Harvey who to be fair is not the easiest of opponents to play against. Bygrave fouled Tulloch-Marsh, Chandler fouled Cannon, Taylor was caught off-side from a pass by Driver, then keeper, O’Brien sent a long ball forward to Justice (J) but Hudson was quickly in to tackle, conceding a corner. Ganderton took the corner and keeper, Avent punched clear to Justice (B) whose shot on the turn was blocked by Kent to Pym who blasted high and wide and the half-time whistle blew shortly afterwards.


HALF-TIME:    1 – 0.


Tiptree made their second substitution at the second half re-start with Robertson replacing the injured Parfitt, and Elmden showed more promise with Pym finding Ganderton to Chandler who was upended as he tried to get past Bygrave. Justice (B) curled the free-kick into the six-yard box, keeper, Avent called for the ball, Hudson tried to duck out of the way, but the ball deflected off his back beating the keeper and finding the back of the net for an OWN GOAL equaliser. Now, it’s well known, and I’ll remind you all once again that just when you score you become most vulnerable and so it proved as NELSON TAYLOR was gifted the ball just past the half-way line and he ran forward riding a couple of tackles before wrong footing Pym on the goal-line to put the home team in front again. A throw-in from Bygrave found Harvey whose cross was headed over the cross-bar by Humphries for a corner, taken by Sheridan to Kent whose turn and shot was charged down by Chandler. Woods fouled Hudson and from the long ball forward from Avent, Harvey ran through several challenges before colliding with keeper, O’Brien who took exception to the challenge and when Harvey spoke out of turn he was cautioned for dissent and a free-kick was awarded. Once again Elmden stood off and by not heeding what had happened five minutes earlier allowed Tiptree to attack and the long strides of DEAN HARVEY took him past several defenders before beating Woods, the last man, standing on the goal-line and before the restart, Elmden replaced Baker with Jones.

On sixty minutes Woods fouled Driver, thirty yards from goal, Sheridan struck the free-kick directly to keeper O’Brien, Taylor escaped the off-side trap to run on only to be stopped by a smart save at his feet by keeper, O’Brien and Elmden replaced Pym with Rowing. Tulloch-Marsh showed some good skill running at pace with the ball beating four or five players until Cannon unfairly stopped his further progress, Justice (B) took the free-kick forcing keeper, Avent to unconvincingly punch clear. Justice (B) then set Chandler into space and keeper Avent saved with his feet then a cross from Ganderton was headed over by Justice (J) and momentarily Tiptree were forced to defend as Elmden raised their game. Tulloch-Marsh sent a long cross-field ball to Ganderton whose cross found the head of Justice (B) with keeper, Avent saving low down. A long chase by Tulloch-Marsh saw him reach the ball cut back inside two retreating defenders before crossing to Ganderton who had strayed off-side.

Harvey slid into a challenge something not recommended on this artificial surface and stayed down holding both his leg and head, clever stuff if you want the game stopped but it was only when the ball went out of play that the game stopped, and Harvey received treatment for his grazed thigh. With ten minutes remaining Tiptree replaced Driver with Alamin and Elmden replaced Brown (P) with sixteen-year old, Donovan. A shot on the turn by Justice (B) was comfortably held on his goal-line at the second attempt by keeper, Avent and from his throw-out Robertson embarked on a run down the left side with Donovan giving chase on Alamin whose shot was saved by keeper, O’Brien. The pace and skill of Tulloch-Marsh led to Bygrave and Hudson doubling up on their defensive duties and they cleared forward to Alamin who was fouled by Woods, another obvious infringement that was questioned by some frustrated visiting team players! In the final move of the match Taylor and Alamin set Harvey away but keeper, O’Brien was quickly out to smother the ball and deny Harvey his hat-trick.


FULL TIME:     3 – 1.


Another gritty game between two contrasting teams, the experience of Tiptree Jobserve FC “A” definitely shaded out the efforts from a young and gallant Elmden Rovers FC team. Elmden, hopefully, will have learnt from this match, make mistakes or concede cheap free-kicks and you will get punished, that said they are a young team finding their way in adult football for the first time, we wish them well.


Now for my Player-of-the-Match choice, for Elmden I was impressed with central defender Humphries and the lively Tulloch-Marsh in attack whilst for Tiptree Jobserve FC “A” Hudson led his defensive colleagues well, Player manager Sheridan, Cannon, Billimore and Taylor were mostly in control with the front two of Driver and Harvey leading the line effectively, however with two goals, a customary caution, some positive running and commitment to the cause, legal and/or otherwise I’m going for Dean Harvey.





Colours:                                                            Blue Shirts, Blue Shorts and Blue Socks.

Matthew Avent., Ross Parfitt., Nathan Kent., Tom Clark., Mark Hudson (C)., Alex Cannon., Harry Billimore., Dean Harvey., Carl Driver., Nelson Taylor.


Manager:                      Brett Sheridan.

Used Substitutes:          Ali Alamin., Terry Bygrave., Josh Robertson.




Colours:                                                            Claret & Blue Shirts, Light Blue Shorts and Light Blue Socks.

Matthew O’Brien., Sam Woods., Scott Humphries., Glenn Pym., Tommy Baker., Jake Chandler., Jack Justice., Peter Brown., Lennard Tulloch-Marsh., Ben Justice (C)., Owen Ganderton.


Manager:                      Michael Hanna.

Used Substitutes:          Luke Rowing., Kieran Donovan., Joshua Jones

Unused Substitutes:      Tayla Brown.



Referee:                       Rhys Collins                  (Clacton-On-Sea)



Player-of-the-Match:             Dean HARVEY             (TIPTREE JOBSERVE FC “A”)





Additional Reporting – FACEBOOK (x2) & TWITTER



This season the ESBFL is widening its match-day reporting coverage, in addition to a full report written by Brian Reed, the league has enlisted the help of a young volunteer, Spencer Hume, who will also attend games using Facebook and Twitter to communicate up-to-date information and replicate other match reports, please make him welcome.





Reminder to Club / Fixture Secretaries


Once again this season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advise any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 3:00pm from:         September to October

KO is 2:00pm in:              November, December & January

KO is 2:30pm in:              February

KO is 3:00pm from:         March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.


Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:


Clubs are reminded that the following documents are all available on this website under Clubs / Documents etc:


ESBFL Handbook,

Player Registration Sheet,

Player “Signed-On-Match-Day” Form,

Player Transfer Form,

Match Postponement Form,

Leave a Reply