Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

19/04/2017 – KOC Report – Hatfield Peverel FC versus Little Oakley FC





HATFIELD PEVEREL FC:                               1.

LITTLE OAKLEY FC:                                      2.


Date:   Wednesday 19th April 2017.                         Venue:                        Brantham Athletic FC.

The first of the three ESBFL Cup Finals was held on Wednesday evening at the home of Brantham Athletic FC and it’s fair to say that the grounds-man has done an exceptional job this season to still have grass in the goalmouths and a generous covering across the whole pitch, no easy feat given the long dry spell we have experienced this year. A bright dry evening was forecast although the temperature was due to drop as the match progressed and a big crowd was expected with both teams having coaches laid on to ferry supporters to the game.

Hatfield Peverel FC had reached the final courtesy of victories over: Colne Engaine FC (D3){3-1}.,Tiptree Heath FC (D3){3-1}., Bures United FC (D3){5-1} and Wormingford Wanderers FC (D1){1-0 aet}.

Little Oakley FC had reached the final courtesy of victories over: Colchester Athletic FC (D2){6-0}.,Great Bentley FC (D3){3-2 aet}., Earls Colne FC (P){3-0} and Coggeshall Town FC Reserves (P){4-2 aet}.

The Referee for this Knock-Out Cup Final was John Watson, ably assisted by Stuart Hannam and Robert Cox with Stephen Vieira acting as 4th Official and with the “Respect” handshake completed we were ready for kick-off.

Little Oakley FC started proceedings with Hatfield Peverel FC kicking down the slight slope to gain the first corner, taken by Mouser to be cleared by Wood towards Heath who fouled Turner who was blocking his forward run. Hatfield followed up with another corner kick this time conceded when Hammond was forced by Long to push the goal-bound cross away. Hull fouled Wood with Tynan (L) taking the free-kick finding Polley who ran on to shoot from outside the penalty area but wide of the goal and a couple more tasty challenges followed involving Brewster and Palmer with both teams upping the ante in midfield. A high free-kick from Lapwood tested Tynan (L) who made a confident call and catch inside his six yard box and despite a mix-up between Hale (L) and Long on the half-way line it was Hatfield who had been the more positive team going forward at this early stage.

Only fifteen minutes had elapsed when Hatfield took the lead, unexpected, not really on the balance of play so far but when a lazy looping cross came in from Mouser on the left side, the ball eluded the attempted punch by Tynan (L), struck the far upright, bouncing back into play where the alert BEN HULL stooped to head the ball over the goal-line. Kioussis (J) for Little Oakley sent a long ball forward down the left wing but keeper Hirst was quickly out to retrieve the over-hit ball then from a throw-in by Kioussis (J) to Palmer saw Willis concede a first corner to Little Oakley. Kioussis (J) drove the corner kick into the danger area where Turner headed out for a second corner kick, once again taken by Kioussis (J) with Hale (D) heading clear. The crosses and free-kicks supplied by Kioussis (J) would have most forwards drooling over their precise delivery so when he placed the ball onto the head of the unmarked Heath, standing four yards from goal you would have expected a goal to follow however Hirst produced the first of several top class saves, this one from point blank range diving low to his left side to concede a corner. The left footed in-swinging corner from Kioussis (J) was cleared by Lapwood to Palmer who rounded Mouser to cross, finding Wood who sent a towering header just over the cross-bar.

Hatfield had scored an important early goal and Little Oakley had to raise their game, which they did pushing their opponents into deep defence and when Mathurin powered in a shot, Hirst was beaten but Willis was there to clear off the goal-line, then Turner got his frame in the way of the follow up shot from Eldridge with Lapwood clearing towards the half-way line. Hale (L) for such a tall player has excellent composure on the ball and by using both feet he took the ball away from Polley, beat Harmon and then Palmer to set his colleague Long on a chase forward with the referee bringing the play back for a free-kick. Turner took the free-kick finding the head of Hull with Tynan untroubled when catching the ball on his goal-line enabling his team to mount another attack themselves with Harmon playing the ball wide to Kioussis (J) whose cross found the head of Eldridge who flicked the ball on to Polley who found Heath who dragged the ball wide of goal.

Half an hour had gone by when Brewster fouled Eldridge twenty-five yards from goal, Kioussis (J) took the kick with Lapwood clearing to Hale whose used his pace to cross through half way into the Little Oakley half before Hammond got across to cover and set his own team going forward again. Turner conceded a corner under pressure from Heath, Kioussis (J), who else, took the corner finding Wood whose header once again cleared the cross-bar but his team’s goal threat continued when Heath controlled the ball inside the penalty area, swivelled onto his left foot but only found the side netting. Ten minutes before half-time and Kioussis (N) got forward only to be fouled wide on the right side by Mouser, the free-kick was curling goalwards, but everyone who was piling in missed it completely and the ball bounced once before going behind for a goal-kick. Mathurin chased a long ball forward from a cross-field pass by Kioussis (J) and when his pin-point cross fell to Heath, once again we thought goal, but Hirst made another great save.

This final had, so far, more than lived up to expectations and when Brewster won a huge tackle inside the centre-circle his forward ball set Long on a chase but one heavy touch later and Tynan was able to pick the ball up, then Wood put in a timely challenge on Long, once again looking to use his pace and the next time Tynan had to make a block with his feet outside the penalty area, again on Long whose tireless running was keeping the Little Oakley defenders on their toes. Little Oakley had to be patient in their build up play, Kioussis (J) found Hammond, then Kioussis (N) pushed the ball forward down the right side to Mathurin who attempted a long shot at goal which had Hirst scampering across his goal to cover at the near post. Hatfield continued to defend well, even at free-kicks with Turner heading clear from Kioussis (J) on the edge of the penalty area and the same player almost got Heath through but for a fine interception by Willis. As time ran out in the first half Kioussis (N) put Eldridge through but after passing inside to Polley the shot found the safe arms of Hirst, the keeper, who had thwarted Little Oakley with two top class saves in the first half.

HALF-TIME:       1 – 0

Hatfield Peverel restarted the match and Little Oakley kept up the pressure they had built before half-time, a Kioussis (J) free-kick was cleared by Brewster for a corner, taken by Kioussis (J) but hitting Hammond for a goal-kick. Polley ran the ball out from his own defence finding Heath who won a corner off Roll, Kioussis (J) took the corner with Lapwood heading out as far as Mathurin whose snap shot kept rising to clear the cross-bar. A deep cross from Kioussis (N) found Palmer unmarked at the far post but his first time shot hit the side-netting then Mathurin set off on a right wing run and cross with Mouser clearing the danger as Little Oakley set about getting back on even terms. A flowing move from firstly, Polley then Eldridge set up Palmer only for Hirst to produce another fine save pushing the ball round the post for a corner. On fifty-five minutes a driven cross from Kioussis (J) found Palmer who controlled the ball, took aim and guess what, Hirst saves again from close range, inspired goalkeeping indeed but his team had so far stuck to their game plan well.

Hale tested Tynan (L) with a shot and at the other end on the hour mark Mouser fouled Mathurin near the half-way line where the stoppage allowed Hatfield to replace Roll with Hunt. Hirst stopped another shot from Heath and Tynan (L) did likewise from substitute Hunt and in the ensuing scramble Hammond was injured with Wood protesting that a foul had been committed which he referee waved away but had cause to speak to the Little Oakley captain. Another free-kick followed with Heath over the ball, placed on the “D”, which drifted just over the corner of post and cross-bar, and when Kioussis (J) fed Harmon he found Heath but Hirst was again the saviour. On sixty-seven minutes a double substitution, one from each team, Lapwood was replaced by Irvine with Pratt replacing Mathurin and this perhaps inspired change led to Little Oakley scoring an equaliser. Pratt used his pace and strength to get the better of Mouser and when his low, cross flew across goal to hit the inside of the far upright JORDAN HEATH slide-footed the rebound into the net to queue up some relieved celebrations.

With their tails now up, Little Oakley pushed forward again with Hunt having to track back to tackle Pratt, conceding a corner, Kioussis (J) drove the kick high into the crowded six-yard box with Wood heading back across goal to Hammond with Hirst tipping the ball over the cross-bar. Another corner from Kioussis (J) was cleared by Turner and when Hull charged recklessly into a challenge on Hammond he was promptly cautioned as was Kioussis (J) who ran over to needlessly get involved as other players sought to calm things down. Kioussis (J) stayed on the right side to deliver the free-kick direct to Hirst who initially fumbled the ball then Pratt fouled Mouser leading to Harmon and Palmer making a break forward to find Heath with Willis recovering to intercept the next pass.

With ten minutes to go Little Oakley scored again, Pratt took off down the right side before crossing into the penalty area to find JORDAN HEATH who side-stepped Turner before shooting goalwards but with the ball just getting a tickle off a prostrate defender the ball, found its way past Hirst to give Little Oakley the lead. Hill replaced Brewster and Kioussis (J) was injured when falling hard to the ground trying to win a headed clearance against Hull and Hull followed up with a headed chance from a free-kick taken by Willis. A high foot from Polley led to another free-kick, taken by Mouser, saw Wood head clear to Hunt whose first time shot was superbly saved by Tynan (L) and five minutes remained. A break by Eldridge and Heath relieved some of the late pressure on their team from Hatfield Peverel and Turners frustration earned him a late caution for dissent having been warned a couple of times during the match so far. Heath chased down another attempt by Hatfield Peverel to play the ball forward and with his team in possession the referee blew the final whistle.

FULL TIME:        1 – 2


After a short speech from League Chairman, Brian Tatum, presentations were made by Vice Chairman, Peter Whent to the match officials who were presented with mementoes. Losing finalists Hatfield Peverel FC also received mementoes and a Runners-Up Trophy leaving Lewis Wood and Jamie Dobkin for winners Little Oakley FC to lift the Knock-Out Cup to some jubilant celebrations. Finally, by winning this cup final Little Oakley FC had completed a memorable double as they had earlier won the Premier Division the week before and the team were presented with the coveted Premier Division Trophy as well, well done to them and the ESBFL wishes them well as they embark towards Thurlow Nunn (Step 6) football next season.


Now for my Man-of-the-Match choice, several players stood out, for Little Oakley, Heath eventually found his scoring boots to net twice, Kioussis (J) consistently tested the Hatfield defence with telling crosses, free-kicks and corners with his trusty left foot, but generally another team effort which has seen the club develop and win two major trophies this season. For Hatfield Peverel FC, they probably arrived as the under-dogs but for an hour they frustrated Little Oakley FC, scored first and defended well. Hale (L), Long and Hull did their bit up front with Lapwood and Brewster covering acres of the pitch to frustrate their opposition midfield numbers but to be honest if any player did more than enough and it is a bit of a no-brainer here as Hatfield Peverel goal-keeper Graham Hirst made numerous excellent saves to keep his team in this match.


On behalf of the ESBFL thanks go to Dan Allen, Secretary of Brantham Athletic FC for arranging for the final to be played on their pitch, to the bar and kitchen staff, who laid on a fine spread after the game and of course to the grounds-man who now has to prepare the pitch for next season!


Other thanks go to Mark Kettlety of MK Publications who produced the excellent match day programmes and to Andreas Carter who sponsor the ESBFL.





HATFIELD PEVEREL FC:                     Colours:            Red & White Striped Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks.

Graham Hirst., Elliot Mouser., Sam Willis., Luke Turner., Douglas Hale., Anthony Roll., Michael Brewster., Ben Lapwood., Ben Hull., Lawrence Hale (C)., Ross Long.


Manager:                      Steve Pretty.

Assistant Managers:      Reece Packford and Ali Robertson.

Used Substitutes:          Danny Hunt., Christopher Hill., James Irvine.

Unused Substitutes:      John Leeder., James Dawson.


LITTLE OAKLEY FC:                Colours:            Blue & Black Shirts, Black Shorts and Blue Socks.

Luke Tynan., Nathan Kioussis., Jacob Kioussis., Mark Palmer., Lewis Wood (C)., Ben Hammond., Stephen Polley., Rory Harmon., Jordan Heath., Sam Eldridge., Sean Mathurin..


Manager:                      Sean Tynan.

Assistant Manager:        Paul Sadler.

Coach:                          Gary Kioussis.

Physio:                         Paul Lambert

Used Substitutes:          Robert Pratt.

Unused Substitutes:      Shaun Kioussis., Louis Reynolds., Patrick Tynan., Jamie Dobkin




Referee:                       John Watson                             (Colchester)

Assistant Referees:        Stuart Hannam                          (Walton-on-the-Naze)

and:     Robert Cox                                (Holland-on-sea)

4th Official:                    Stephen Vieira                          (Braintree)


Man of the Match:      Graham HIRST                       (HATFIELD PEVEREL FC)

Leave a Reply