Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

18/11/2017 – REPORT – Oyster FC versus Hedinghams United FC Reserves



OYSTER FC:                    4                  HEDINGHAMS UNITED FC RESERVES:       1

Date:   Saturday 18th November 2017.                                  Venue: The Glebe, West Mersea


I took a trip back down to Division Three this week, one new club, Oyster FC who have stepped up from the Colchester & East Essex Football League and one new Reserve Team, that of Hedinghams United FC, a young side that mainly emanates from their Under 16 youth team. This clearly is a big step up for them but the experience gained this season so far will undoubtedly help as the season progresses, in fact I reckoned that nine of their fifteen man squad for this match were seventeen or younger! By a quirk of the fixtures, these teams had met only two weeks previously with Oyster FC gaining, a three goals to nil victory over at Sible Hedingham so could the youngsters get a swift revenge, especially as their team today showed six changes from that earlier meeting! Oyster FC have started quite well following their competition elevation, losing only four of their ten games played so far, they appear to be well run and showed plenty of enthusiasm despite their pitch being somewhat narrow, might be to their advantage when playing a team that plays expansive football.


With the Strood, covered by the mid-day high tide, both the scheduled matches on the Glebe got underway on time, this match, on a cold and damp afternoon was officiated, by Eric Bowers, glad to see his enthusiasm for the game has not waned and he certainly enjoyed his run-out at the Representative Team match last Tuesday evening.


Hedinghams kicked-off but Pacey, for Oyster, raced clear down the right side but crossing straight into the arms of keeper, Crisell, one of seven sixteen year olds in the visitors, line-up. On four minutes a long ball forward by Brooks set Pacey away again this time his clipped shot was fumbled behind him by Crisell with Lowe covering to clear for a throw-in and Oyster set out their store with more attacking play with Pacey just being edged out by the experienced Mills with the ball rolling back to his keeper. Pacey by name and pacy by nature, so when he burst through again, keeper Crisell was again alert and advanced to save with his feet with Wargent shooting wide from the rebound. When Pacey was fouled by McLaughlin, Wargent took the free-kick with Regan heading clear and to be honest Hedinghams needed to find some confidence and bite into the challenges, otherwise this game could be a long and hard one! A corner from Wargent found the head of Scholes (J) but Green cleared but these clearances were being rushed and with the home team picking up the loose ball they started their next attack at will. I mentioned earlier that the pitch was narrow but Oyster exploited this at will against two inexperienced full-backs who to be fair kept going, another corner taken by Wargent was met on the volley by Washington but keeper, Crisell excelled again with a fine save at the near post. Another move started by Pacey who found Palmer wide on the left side and from his cross Washington flicked the ball just wide of the goal and surely a goal was due from this pressure.

Hedinghams won a free-kick inside the Oyster half, taken by Green with keeper, Harvey-Piggins punching clear from near the edge of his penalty area from where Brooks, on sixteen minutes, stroked the ball forward to Pacey and from his pass to the left side SEAN PALMER ran forward beating retreating defender, Heather, to rifle the ball home from the edge of the penalty area and give the keeper little chance to save and despite the linesman’s flag being raised for off-side the goal was awarded. Hedinghams remained hesitant to commit themselves into challenges allowing Oyster to dictate play once more, however the visitors won a corner after pressure from Tarbin but the corner taken by Jarvis was over-hit and Oyster broke forward with Pacey neatly flicked the ball over Mills before chipping the ball over Crisell but McLaughlin covering, cleared from six-yards out. Lowe latched onto a poor Oyster clearance but Harvey-Piggins held the ball comfortably and cleared long downfield where Pacey went down inside the penalty area under a challenge from the ever determined, Mills, surely a penalty, but the referee cited simulation by the lively Pacey and Hedinghams breathed a sigh of relief.

On twenty-six minutes Oyster increased their lead, as when the Hedinghams defence dithered in making a meaningful clearance SEAN PALMER pounced again to beat Crisell from the corner of the penalty area and from the restart Jarvis, for Hedinghams forced Harvey-Piggins into making only his second real save of the match so far, with Jarvis chipping the rebound just wide. Hedinghams hit back with an attack leading to a corner taken by Jarvis and headed wide by Green, St John was late arriving to a tackle on Green to receive a word from the referee, it had not been that sort of game so far but a warning to others perhaps! Pacey embarked on another mazy run down the right side evading three tackles, Mills just missed Wargent with a high, mistimed, rather than deliberate challenge but a free kick was awarded non-the-less, taken by Wargent himself but cleared by Mills, a solid and committed defender that youngsters can learn from. A throw-in from Heather found Green whose flick on fell to Jarvis who crossed with Harvey-Piggins gathering safely. Hedinghams kept going and Harrington had an effort blocked inside the penalty area and Tarbin likewise as he followed up to gain a corner but again the kick from Jarvis was over-hit, it’s the small pitch you see!.

Crisell made a great save to deny Wargent with Lowe blocking the follow up effort from Washington when diving feet first towards the goal-bound shot and for Hedinghams the ball did not seem to be running for them when they were trying to construct moves. Heather, Regan and Jarvis, twice linked up to put Harrington through with Jarvis scuffing a decent effort wide but much better approach play from the visitors. Oyster through Pacey and Palmer had sort of terrorised the respective full-backs and Crisell was running outside his penalty area to stop another quick break, good goal-keeping once again. Birch started another promising move for Oyster but Palmer handled the ball at a critical stage, at the other end Brooks fouled Jarvis but the free-kick from Green failed to reach the penalty area allowing Oyster to break with Mills and Pacey clashing heads, calls of a misplaced hair-band for the home forward rang out close to where I stood but meant and taken in good humour. Brooks stroked the free-kick straight to Crisell and in the final action Eden found space to cross towards Pacey whose close-range side-footed effort was once again well saved at the near post by the overworked Crisell.


HALF-TIME:      2 – 0.


Hedinghams replaced McLaughlin with Shomuyiwa immediately at the restart which Oyster kicking off with Crisell twice denying Pacey, blocking the first attempt in a one-on-one situation and then from the follow up at the expense of a corner. Wargent took the corner with Washington heading well wide but Hedinghams had to make another early change with Heather being replaced by Nicholls and his first action was a crunching but legitimate tackle on Palmer, that’s more like it! When Tarbin threatened, Skinner handled the ball wide on the left side then Jarvis broke through with Harvey-Piggins smothering the ball at his feet from a pass from Tarbin. Porte fouled Pacey leading to the lively attacker trying an over-head kick from the free-kick taken by Brooks, Tarbin set Shomuyiwa away, no off-side but his presence since half-time was causing problems, a willing runner / chaser and not afraid to get stuck in as well. Porte fouled Washington, Wargent took the free-kick, curling the ball just over the cross-bar then Hedinghams broke forward through Shomuyiwa with Harvey-Piggins electing to punch the shot clear with Jarvis heading the ball back to THEO SHOMUYIWA who clipped the ball over the retreating goal-keeper and Hedinghams were back in this game.

On fifty-eight minutes Oyster replaced Scholes (J) with Scholes (B) and Hedinghams made their last change replacing the tiring Regan with Murray but Oyster drove forward through Palmer whose cross was met by who-else, Pacey but guess what, there was Crisell making another fine save. Shomuyiwa was again in action chasing the ball across the pitch, controlling the ball and finding Jarvis with his cross only for Brooks to block the goal-bound effort and Shomuyiwa took a high and unfair ride on the shoulders of Eden to concede a free-kick.  Lowe made a late and rash challenge on Birch to earn the only caution of this game, played in a very good spirit with Green making a timely challenge on Wargent as he dribbled through to gain a corner. Palmer and Pacey worked the ball for another corner taken by Wargent with Washington and Pacey both trying to head the same ball at the far post, for a goal-kick. Lowe tried his luck again from thirty yards after Shomuyiwa had won possession from St John but Harvey-Piggins saved on the goal-line.

Good running from Nicholls and Shomuyiwa led to another attack and Hedinghams looked a better team this half, Tarbin set up Shomuyiwa who found Jarvis but again the Oyster defence got a body in the way and break themselves to the other end where JAMES WARGENT running in from the left side, evading a challenge before volleying the ball home giving Crisell no chance to save. Brooks was replaced by Elms, Eden dived into a challenge on Shomuyiwa, right on the corner of the penalty area but Porte drove the ball high and wide into the car park. With fifteen minutes remaining the game went quiet, Oyster three-one up and comfortable, Hedinghams defending stoutly when the home team pressed but goal-mouth action was limited. With ten minutes remaining Oyster replaced Skinner with Perkins, Green pushed forward for Hedinghams only for Eden to make a decent tackle to move into the visitors half himself, with the substitutions made Pacey had dropped back into midfield winning a header that set Wargent away and from his pass Palmer shot but Crisell saved.

The final minutes were upon us, an injury to Palmer did not require treatment and from the drop ball situation the referee awarded an indirect kick to Oyster as Hedinghams seemed to have played on rather than pass the ball ball back to the keeper. Another change of ball was required when a second one flew over the compound in the corner but defender TOM BIRCH ran onto a pass from Palmer to score the fourth and final goal for Oyster. From the restart Birch clipped the heels of Shomuyiwa with Tarbin placing the dipping ball over the defensive wall but Harvey-Piggins read the flight of the ball and saved at the near post. Scholes (B) hit the outside of the post with a cushioned volley for Oyster after Pacey, Palmer and Wargent ran free down the left side then Pacey, still full of running was fouled twenty-five yards out by Mills. The final action deep into time added on fell to Hedinghams with Crisell finding Jarvis, then Tarbin fed Shomuyiwa whose shot was held by Harvey-Piggins.


FULL TIME:       4 – 1.


Both teams deserve credit for serving up a decent game of football, Oyster seem to have acclimatised to ESBFL football and will be, on this performance, an asset going forward and no doubt looking forward to the day when island bragging rights are at stake. As mentioned at the start of this report, Hedinghams are a young team and this experience plus the heavy defeats already suffered should hold them in good stead for the rest of the season, remember, it’s the taking part and not always the result that counts, but they should be proud of their efforts against the better team.


Now, for my Man-of-the-Match selection, judging by the number of times certain players have been mentioned the choice should be easier than last week’s reported match. Oyster, were in the ascendency from early on, mainly due to the running of both Pacey and two goal, Palmer with Wargent making numerous assists with a goal himself. For Hedinghams, Shomuyiwa livened thinks up after the break with a well taken goal, a consolation goal perhaps but deserved by a team that did not give up. However, another player was constantly in action and for a sixteen year old, playing in adult football step forward Crisell, the Hedinghams over-worked goal-keeper, numerous crucial saves, excellent reactions, alert the whole time and not afraid to dive at feet or punch clear when under pressure from corners or free-kicks and there were many of those.



OYSTER FC:                                                      Colours: Blue & White Striped Shirts, Blue Shorts and Blue Socks.

Keiran Harvey-Piggins., Matt Skinner., Dale St John., Karl Brooks., Tom Birch., Connor Eden., James Wargent., Joe Scholes., Alex Pacey., Alex Washington (C)., Sean Palmer.


Player Manager:              Ian Reilly.

Used Substitutes:            Ben Scholes., Howie Elms., Luke Perkins.

Unused Substitutes:        Ian Reilly.



HEDINGHAMS UNITED FC RESERVES FC:           Colours: Red & Black Hooped Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks.

Jordan Crisell., Ben Heather., Craig Porte., Paul McLaughlin., Joseph Lowe., Dave Mills (C)., Leighton Regan., Josh Green., Daniel Jarvis., Bradley Harrington., James Tarbin.


Manager:                       Kevin Chapman.

Used Substitutes:                        Archie Nicholls., Theo Shomuyiwa., Edward Murray.



Referee:                                    Eric Bowers                    (Lawford).


Man of the Match:        Jordan CRISELL                        (HEDINGHAMS UNITED FC RESERVES)





Reminder to Club / Fixture Secretaries


Once again this season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advice any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 2:00pm in:           November, December & January

KO is 2:30pm in:           February

KO is 3:00pm from:       March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.


Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:  


Clubs are reminded that the following documents are all available on this website under Clubs / Documents etc :


ESBFL Handbook,

Player Registration Form,

Player Transfer Form,

Match Postponement Form,

Referee – Low Mark Form

Leave a Reply