Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

ESBFL – Weekly Round-Up for 09th February 2019. – John Campany

Essex & Suffolk Border League Round – Up 9th February 2019.


It was another disappointing result in the Essex Premier Cup as Tiptree Heath bowed out losing to last years beaten finalists, Catholic United from the Essex Olympian league at the Tolleshunt Knights Village Hall.

It was always going to be a difficult task against the successful Southend side, but the missed early chances cost Steve Chester’s side a place in the semi final.

In the league Knock – Out Cup Hedinghams United progressed after an epic tie defeating First Division Colne Athletic who led 2-1 at half time. After 90 minutes the score was 3-3, but in a fiery cup tie the senior side got the winner to progress 4-3 after extra time.

The home scorers were two from Steven Hill and a goal a piece from Ashley Taylor and Alexandru Gilca whilst the visitors replied through Ross Barnard (subsequently sent off), Thomas Moore and Luke Rogers. The first division side were further handicapped following the additional dismissal of Josh Vaughan for two yellow cards.

In the Premier Division Barnston’s Jimmy Nyanga secured the win at Great Bentley with the solitary goal of the match.

Lee Townrow scored the only goal at School Lane ensuring a West Bergholt victory over Lawford Lads that takes them a point behind leaders Gas Recreation who were inactive and Tiptree Heath albeit having played more games.

Alresford Colne Rangers consolidated there fourth position beating 5th placed White Notley 2-1 at Oak Farm with goals from Jordon Ellis and substitute Jack Lockwood.

In Division One leaders Alresford Colne Rangers Reserves were beaten at Ford Lane 3-1 by visiting Boxted Lodgers whose scorers were Jack Keeble and a brace from Conor Howard whilst Roger Smith replied. Alresford’s Glen Linnane received his marching orders with a straight red to add to the home side’s woes.

Second placed Flitch United were held at Bures United, both sides sharing four goals and placing the visitors in a strong position challenging Alresford. They trail by two points with three games in hand and look promotion candidates. United scorers were James Stranders and Neil Rivett whilst the home marksmen were Jack Durey and Courtney Prince.

Third place Tiptree Engaine maintained their challenge by beating fourth place Cressing United 3-1.

Basement side Brantham Athletic ‘A’ almost snatched there first win with goals from Ben Allington, Kyle Roling and Christopher Tanner, but ultimately were held in a 3-3 draw at West Bergholt Reserves.

Stanway Pegasus were back to winning ways, following three successive defeats, to continue their relentless pursuance of the Division Two title. A comfortable 6-2 win over Mersea Island at Stanway School stretched there lead to 13 points over second place Long Melford. The visitors’ scorers were Frazer Lamb and substitute Alex Akinola.

As for Melford they crushed Hatfield Peverel Reserves at the Keith Bigden Memorial Ground 6-0 maintaining a four point, lead over third place Tollesbury. Both Sam Newton and Addy Roy scored twice, and Will Howe and Perry Newman completed the rout.

Mid-table Cavendish had a good win at home to FC Clacton Reserves, who lost ground in the race for the second spot. Ryan Tatum and Haydn Taylor were the home scorers whilst James Thompson replied.

Leroy Eade hit a hat trick for Harwich Rangers at Low Road Recreation Field against visiting Ramsey & Mistley and Rowhedge drew with Wormingford Wanderers Reserves at home 2-2. Josh Undrill got both goals for the home side.

Gosfield United the runaway leaders of the third division overwhelmed Tiptree Heath Reserves at Church Road 8-0 to, open up a 17 point, lead over nearest rivals Dedham Old Boys Reserves. Joshua Preston and Andrew Turner both scored three and Alex Greaves and Ryan Vickery completed the scoring.



John Campany.

Leave a Reply