Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

03/11/2018 – REPORT – Tavern FC versus Tiptree Engaine FC Reserves





TAVERN FC:                     4.       TIPTREE ENGAINE FC RESERVES:              1.


Date:               Saturday 3rd November 2018.          Venue: Eastcliff Stadium, Holland-on-sea.


It was off to the Eastcliff Stadium, Holland-on-sea this week to watch one new club, Tavern FC, who having finished second in the Colchester & East Essex Football League, last season have stepped up and have so far acquitted themselves well in Division Three of the ESBFL. Today’s visitors were another new team, the Reserve team of Tiptree Engaine FC who had also stepped up from the Colchester League and once again both teams had notable regular players missing, has Christmas shopping started early this year!


The Eastcliff Stadium is not the most hospitable of venues, it was a bright sunny afternoon but that wind that comes off the sea blew straight down the pitch however, local referee Andrew Pitts would be used to this weather and the game started with the wind advantage to the visitors.


Tiptree Engaine kicked off and an early shot from Cardona-Alveres flew past the post, but Tavern responded with Richter using his pace to cross into the arms of keeper, Merchant, no danger this time, then from a throw-in by Perry to Castro-Vilasoa the ball was played out to Hutchinson whose shot flew wide. Wayland found Richter down the left side, a quick turn and burst of pace left Barber behind with defender Tuddenham covering to push the ball out for a corner, taken by Barnard with Castro-Vilasoa heading clear. A run and shot on the volley by Wayland tested keeper, Merchant as it bobbled from his hands, and after ten minutes play had been fairly even followed by Barnard finding Welham down the right side who found Bastone who gained a corner off Tuddenham. Halford took the corner on the right side with Smith heading out for a corner on the far -side, taken by Barnard, in-swinging onto the head of the unmarked RYAN WAYLAND who headed home. Mallett fouled Tuddenham twenty-five yards from goal, with the same player taking a dipping free-kick that just cleared the cross-bar but a decent effort. Tiptree Engaine had consistently tried to use the long ball forward but played into the hands of the home team, well equipped for that trend and it rarely sparked any danger despite some willing running by the young visitor’s forwards. Cardona- Alveres sent in a cross to find the head of Hutchinson and from his knock-down Castro-Vilasoa steered the ball wide, but better approach-play, from the visitors, who followed that foray up with another using Hutchinson, Tuddenham then Castro-Vilasoa again missing the target.

On fifteen minutes Bastone found Richter who cut inside to send over a deep cross that Barber steered wide for a corner, Barnard then set Richter away stepping inside Barber before rifling a low shot into the side-netting with keeper, Merchant covering the near post. Preece (T) was adjudged to have fouled Welham after the second attempt and the game remained fairly even, despite the tricky windy conditions. Richter again used his pace to put Clark through, but his first effort hit Tuddenham then Preece (J) before a corner was awarded, taken long by Barnard to Wayland who headed upwards. What seemed to me was a killer goal which came on twenty-five minutes, Barnard played the ball wide to JARAD RICHTER who turned Cardona-Alveres and from way out on the far touch-line stroked a high floated cross-cum-shot that drifted over the keeper and nestled in the top corner of the net on the far side. Tiptree Engaine pushed forward and only a great tackle by Tappenden stopped a run by Hutchinson then a neat back-header by Wayland was fielded by keeper, Evenett.

The third goal arrived on the half-hour mark, Richter, who else again evaded detection to cross hard and low into the penalty area where KARL CLARK arrived to hammer the ball home, and this was followed by the first flare-up, well handbags at least, Preece (T) fouled Clark, whose reaction was not necessary as the offender was duly cautioned. Tiptree Engaine gained a chance of a fightback when after a foul was committed, EDUARDO CADONA-ALVERES smashed home the free-kick, low and hard from twenty-five yards out and Hutchinson then had two runs at goal, stopped by Wayland first and keeper, Evenett catching the second. Keeper, Merchant launched the ball long towards Castro-Vilasoa, but Wayland just did enough in the aerial dual to divert the ball away from its target. The Tiptree Engaine went down injured, looked like he had landed awkwardly, inside the penalty area, but with no physio nor non-playing personnel present the game took some time to re-start, what I did not like were some of the comments made, I could list three or four but players should take stock and say to themselves, would I like that to be said too or about me! Not very sporting though! With minutes to half-time Tavern scored again, Richter threaded the ball through to KARL CLARK who ran on to score his second and from that re-start the visitors won a free-kick taken by Tuddenham to Hutchinson and from his cross keeper, Evenett advanced to punch clear.


HALF-TIME:    4 – 1.  


Personally, Tavern FC had done a good job in the first half, especially against the wind, clinical goals scored throughout the half, just surprised that Richter was substituted so early, apparently had to catch a train to work, with Croft taking his place which meant that the visitors would have no linesman for the second half making the referees job more difficult. It was Croft, in fact who had the best chance in the early minutes of the half with an over-head kick that bounced just wide but for the next ten minutes very little happened even though Tavern remained on top, kicking with the wind. Good work by Barnard should have seen Bastone get through but Preece (J) but it a tackle to block any further progress.

On the hour mark Tavern replaced Halford with Baker, keeper Merchant made a fine save to deny Clark his hat-trick and he did well again juggling the ball when stopping a snap shot from Clark who was keen to get that third goal. Tiptree Engaine had lost a lot of their early shape, having trouble clearing the ball anywhere meaningful and resorting to deep defence in an effort to restrict going further behind. A high up-and-under from the half-way line from Welham bounced once in front of keeper, Merchant who may have been un-sited by the run across him by Croft, but the keeper reacted to take two steps back and tip the ball over the cross-bar. Barnard, once again the instigator of Tavern attacks set Clark away and from his pass Croft, controlled the ball, turned and saw keeper. Merchant make a fine save. When the visitors did get forward Preece (J) found Hutchinson who set new signing Davies away but from his low cross there was no support and Tavern countered by getting forward themselves. Mallett drove a fine rising shot just over the cross-bar from a knock-back from Clark, then a fine curling free-kick from Tuddenham drifted just wide and he followed that up with a shot that keeper, Evenett caught on the goal-line.

This second half had been very disjointed from my perspective, Tavern were comfortably ahead, and Tiptree Engaine had not shown any threat this half other than getting frustrated. Barnard fouled Preece (J) and the game until now had been played in a decent spirit, plenty of banter, some handshakes after fouls, nothing malicious so-as-to-speak. When Bastone set off on a quick break he perhaps had not reckoning with the equal pace of Tuddenham who set a fine example by chasing back down to his own corner flag from a forward position. With ten minutes to go Preece (T) received a second yellow card for some outspoken comment and took the walk of shame back to the dressing room. A left-wing cross from Bastone, fell to Clark whose over-head attempt flew straight to keeper Merchant and Tavern continued their attacking options until the final whistle which was certainly welcomed by the visitors.


FULL TIME:     4 – 1.


A bright day, spoilt by the wind, a dour match which probably lived up to some people’s expectations, as the depleted mid-table visitors came up against top half Tavern FC who have now moved up to 2nd in the table.


Now for my Player-of-the-Match choice, For Tiptree Engaine, keeper, Merchant saved more than he conceded so he did his job well, defenders Preece (J) and Smith had to work hard throughout, Castro-Vilasoa and Cardona-Alveres showed some nice touches, the latter with a fine goal, but Tuddenham was their best player. For Tavern FC, my early game selection was going to be Richter, scorer of one, making two more and he was generally unstoppable. Bastone, Clark and Halford caused problems but so did captain, Barnard, non-stop the whole game, up and down the pitch getting involved in most things coming out of defence but being the linchpin for most of the goals scored, aside from the assists from Richter.


Don’t forget, kick-off time throughout November to the end of January are now 2pm with cup-matches half-an-hour earlier, please check FA Full-Time for full details.


Finally, in view of the fact that next weekend celebrates the one-hundredth anniversary of the ending of World War 1 the ESBFL respectfully requests that all matches next Saturday 10th November 2018 are preceded by a minutes silence.




TAVERN FC:                                        Colours:            Green Shirts, Green Shorts and Green Socks.

George Evenett., Daniel Welham., Ryan Wayland., Ashley Tappenden., Jordan Mallett., Karl Clark., Ben Fowler., Reese Barnard (C)., Jared Richter., Joe Halford., Lewis Bastone.


Manager:                      Ashley Tappenden and Lee Croft.

Used Substitutes:          Lee Croft., Jack Baker.


TIPTREE ENGAINE FC RESERVES:                Colours:            Red Shirts, Black Shorts and Red Socks.

Gary Merchant., Jordan Barber., Richard Hutchinson., Jamie Preece., Carl Smith., Ricky Tuddenham (C)., Tom Preece., David Castro-Vilasoa., Jack Perry., Tyler Davies., Eduardo Cardona-Alveres.


Acting Manager:            Jordan Barber

Unused Substitutes:      Max Gregory.



Referee:                       Andrew Pitts                 (Clacton-on-Sea)




Player-of-the-Match:            Reese BARNARD        (TAVERN FC)




Additional Reporting – FACEBOOK (x2) & TWITTER



This season the ESBFL is widening its match-day reporting coverage, in addition to a full report written by Brian Reed, the league has enlisted the help of a young volunteer, Spencer Hume, who will also attend games using Facebook and Twitter to communicate up-to-date information and replicate other match reports, please make him welcome.





Reminder to Club / Fixture Secretaries


Once again this season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advise any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 2:00pm in:              November, December & January

KO is 2:30pm in:              February

KO is 3:00pm from:         March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.


Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:


Clubs are reminded that the following documents are all available on this website under Clubs / Documents etc:


ESBFL Handbook,

Player Registration Sheet,

Player “Signed-On-Match-Day” Form,

Player Transfer Form,

Match Postponement Form,

Referee – Low Mark Form                                          Please report via “FA Full-Time”

Leave a Reply