Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

30/10/2018 – REPORT – Brantham Athletic FC Reserves versus Dedham Old Boys FC





BRANTHAM ATHLETIC FC RESERVES:        1.       DEDHAM OLD BOYS FC:               2.


Date:               Tuesday 30th October 2018.             


Venue:             Brantham Leisure Centre, Brantham.


A surprisingly mild evening welcomed those players and supporters who ventured over to Brantham last night, the day-time had been awful with persistent rain and cold, but this changed before this Premier Division match kicked-off. Rock bottom, Brantham Athletic FC Reserves have struggled so far this season but once again kept to their principle of playing youth whenever possible and this was evidenced by numerous sixteen and seventeen, year old players in their line-up. Their local visitors, Dedham Old Boys FC had a mixture of experience and youth and after a change of management since I last saw them play have picked up useful points, none-more so when they recently beat Gas Recreation FC.


Tonight’s match officials were referee Carl Pearse, who would be assisted by Ben Hughes-Day and Daniel Webb and with the new floodlights blazing down on what looked like a perfect pitch we witnessed the “Respect” handshake.


Dedham kicked off and managed to retain possession well in the opening minutes, until Tarling was fouled by Gunn just on the half-way line, then Smith tried to find Peters who was marginally off-side. When Brantham got the ball they too tried to pass and move but similarly failed to deliver the final ball, a mixture of nerves, lack of experience or business as usual, I’m not sure but this augured to be a close game. On five minutes a long ball forward from Jones set Lee (Jo) away but Welham kept his nerve to steer the ball off the young forward for a goal-kick, then a break by Tarling down the right side saw his low driven cross turned away by Jones and Dedham kept up this early pressure when Peters set up Moseley, who leant back to fire high and wide from outside the penalty area. Bennett clattered into Vallentyne to receive a spoken word, Moseley took the free-kick finding Smith (W) whose snap-shot was saved by the feet of keeper, Watkins and the follow up from Moseley was charged down by Spencer. Brantham had a chance for an early lead when Gunn put Lee (Jo) through but he dragged his effort wide of the advancing keeper, Minter and it was the persistence of Lee (Jo) who hassled Welham and Lee (R) before shooting straight at the keeper, standing on his goal-line. A free kick, taken by Vallentyne was headed clear by Spencer as played switched to the other end whilst a quick break from Vallentyne should have led to a goal for Moseley who momentarily stopped his run forward only for defender Spencer to totally mis-time his clearance and the ball rolled harmlessly on to keeper, Watkins.

Brantham scored after sixteen minutes, Tarling played a short under-hit pass back to Welham who dithered under the presence of Lee (Jo) and did likewise with his back-pass to keeper, Minter which allowed JONATHAN LEE the chance to run on past the keeper to score for the home team. Dedham picked themselves up to mount the next attack, started by Tarling to Peters but from his pass Moseley who missed the target but he was caught off-side in any case. Spencer won a crucial tackle for Brantham and played the ball forward towards Lee (Jo) but Welham climbed all over the forward to concede a free-kick on the half-way line. A goal-kick taken by Watkins was heading towards Smith (T) but Macklin, good to see him playing Saturday football again, dived in to commit a foul, not much has changed there then, but his midfield presence is clearly a boost to the Dedham squad. Another break by Peters saw the ball played wide to Tarling with Smith (W) over-lapping but the driven cross flew across the six-yard box and out for a throw-in on the far side. Lee (R) for Dedham was perhaps fortunate when he appeared to baulk the run of Bennett, calls for a penalty fell on deaf ears and play continued and Sykes and Oboy were spoken too following a bit of afters on the far side of the pitch this after the ball had gone elsewhere. One goal was not going to be enough for Brantham as Dedham had showed signs they were equally as likely to score the next goal, Sykes skinned Oboy to cross only for Gunn to head straight at keeper, Minter, then at the other end a chase forward by Vallentyne saw his low cross saved, in instalments, as one comical home supporter commented, by Watkins.

A slip on the wet surface by Oboy let in Smith (W) who crossed into the penalty area where Lee (R) headed out to Gunn who volleyed just wide then Tarling and Peters linked up for Dedham with Moseley turning to scoop the ball over the cross-bar from the edge of the penalty area. Home skipper Jones, made a great tackle on Peters deep inside the penalty area, again the service came from Tarling down the right side. When Vallentyne conjured up a shot it cannoned off Davies and loop onto the top of the cross-bar and from a goal-kick Bennett for Brantham pushed forward to supply Lee (Jo) who was dumped on the ground by Smith (W) who received the first caution of the game. The heavy but fair tackling continued from both teams especially by Bennett on Macklin and with five minutes to half-time Peters sent a high shot goal-wards with keeper, Watkins clutching the ball just under the cross-bar. Both teams set attacks going before the break, Brantham through Davies from where a header by Sykes was cleared by Lee (R) whilst Dedham broke through Vallentyne whose high cross was headed goal-wards by Macklin but straight to keeper, Watkins.


HALF-TIME:    1 – 0.  


Brantham kicked-off and stayed on the attack having substituted Owen-Jones for Bennett after half-time, with Lee (Ja) finding the feet of twin brother Lee (Jo) but Welham stepped in to take control. Smith (T) fouled Vallentyne wide on the left side with the free-kick taken by Oboy being headed wide by Moseley, then another foray forward by Vallentyne was, allowed to continue as Lee (Ja) stood off and this allowed a chance at goal, side netting was the outcome but promising. Another great chance for Dedham came and went when Moseley crossed from the right side, Smith (W) skipped past Spencer but missed the target completely. That elusive equalising goal for Dedham, had been threatened and duly arrived five minutes into the second half, Tarling pushed the ball forward to Moseley and when the low cross hit the far left, hand post, it fell invitingly back at the feet of RYAN LEE who had the simplest of task to score. It took only five minutes for all of Brantham’s hard work to be undone, Vallentyne not for the first time drove at pace into the penalty area, Lee (Ja) dived into the challenge and totally missed the ball, a penalty kick was awarded which allowed TRISTAN MOSELEY to score, right footed to the right of the keeper’s dive.

Before, play continued Brantham replaced Spencer for Harris, but the home team who had just about been the better team in the first half, now needed to raise their game as another defeat would leave them eight points from safety. Macklin fouled Lee (Jo) but the free-kick taken by Gunn was straight to keeper, Minter, and Sykes went down with a touch of cramp. On sixty-six minutes a great cross from Gunn fell to Lee (Jo) whose left footed effort spun off Oboy and just cleared the cross-bar for a corner. It seems that Brantham had woken up, two consecutive corners from Gunn caused confusion as Dedham failed to clear neither properly and from the third, again by Gunn, Tarling lashed the ball out for another corner at the near post, could have gone anywhere, that one! On seventy minutes Dedham replaced Moseley with Mason as he slotted into a defensive role with Tarling moving forward and three minutes later Dedham substituted Peters for Brown and Brantham made their last change with Nightingale replacing Sykes.

With fifteen minutes remaining Lee (Jo) ran through from his own half but pushed the ball too far forward, effectively loosing, control but when his team-mate Nightingale ran towards the ball he became “active” and off-side, when Lee (Jo) could probably have reached that ball before any defender, over eager play perhaps by the young Brantham players. A corner from Brown for Dedham was comfortably caught by keeper, Watkins and from his throw-out Lee (Jo) gave chase again loosing, control of the ball but in trying to regain possession he recklessly dived into a challenge and was cautioned. Tarling, who does not seem to have lost his pace as he has got older, broke forward to reach a pass from Vallentyne but his attempted lob over advancing keeper, Watkins, failed. Vallentyne was again provider for Dedham, finding Tarling who gained a corner off Lee (R) then Vallentyne crossed from the left side towards Tarling who narrowly missed the target from close range. Dedham made their last change with three minutes remaining, Smith (W) making way for Ruffles, Brantham tried their hardest to mount further attacks as the game neared its end. In the third minute of time added on, keeper, Watkins made a fine one-handed save from Vallentyne who cut in from the left side before shooting goal-wards


FULL TIME:     1 – 2.


Not a bad game this, particularly for an evening match, both teams had numerous teenage players on show, particularly Brantham, they all tried hard and perhaps the experience of some Dedham players made the difference in the end.


Now for my Player-of-the-Match choice, Brantham had turned to youth where Gunn and brothers Lee (Ja & Jo) stood out as good prospects but taking nothing away from their, team colleagues. Dedham rode their luck at times, they made a huge mistake for the Brantham goal but thereafter dealt with whatever the home team threw at them. “Pedro” Tarling  defended well and when pushed forward continued to cause problems, Macklin has bolstered the Dedham midfield, Moseley is prepared to run forward but does not have the pace of the unavailable Vitelli whilst Peters and Halsey worked hard in midfield so that leaves Vallentyne, he looked a good player when I saw him earlier in the season, tonight he was everywhere using his pace and with good-work set up numerous chances for himself and his colleagues.


Don’t forget, kick-off time throughout November to the end of January are now 2pm with cup-matches half-an-hour earlier, please check FA Full-Time for full details.




BRANTHAM ATHLETIC FC RESERVES:          Colours:            Blue Shirts, Blue Shorts and Blue Socks.

John Watkins., Callum Bennett., Justin Davies., James Lee., Ben Spencer., Lloyd Jones (C)., Tommie Smith., Adam Wilson., Samuel Gunn., Jonathan Lee., George Sykes.


Manager:                      James Long.

Used Substitutes:          Alfie Owen-Jones, Jack Harris., Jamie Nightingale.

Unused Substitutes:      Daniel Bloomfield., Lee Rand.


DEDHAM OLD BOYS FC:                                 Colours:            Red Shirts, Black Shorts and Red Socks.

Adam Minter., Darren Tarling., Keenan Oboy., Ryan Lee., Henry Welham., Liam Macklin., Tristan Moseley (C)., Matthew Halsey., Liam Peters., George Vallentyne., William Smith.


Managers:                    Luke Tuttlebee

Used Substitutes:          Philip Mason., James Ruffles., Keir Brown.

Unused Substitutes:      Ryan Parsons., James Parker.



Referee:                                   Carl Pearse                   (Colchester)

Assistants Referees:                  Ben Hughes-Day

and                                          Daniel Webb



Player-of-the-Match:            George VALLENTYNE             (DEDHAM OLD BOYS FC)




Additional Reporting – FACEBOOK (x2) & TWITTER



This season the ESBFL is widening its match-day reporting coverage, in addition to a full report written by Brian Reed, the league has enlisted the help of a young volunteer, Spencer Hume, who will also attend games using Facebook and Twitter to communicate up-to-date information and replicate other match reports, please make him welcome.





Reminder to Club / Fixture Secretaries


Once again this season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advise any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 2:00pm in:              November, December & January

KO is 2:30pm in:              February

KO is 3:00pm from:         March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.


Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:


Clubs are reminded that the following documents are all available on this website under Clubs / Documents etc:


ESBFL Handbook,

Player Registration Sheet,

Player “Signed-On-Match-Day” Form,

Player Transfer Form,

Match Postponement Form,

Referee – Low Mark Form                                          Please report via “FA Full-Time”

Leave a Reply