Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

10/11/2018 – REPORT – Hedinghams United FC versus Gosfield United FC – KOCup)

Match Report written by Spencer Hume                        Edited by Daniel Dunne


ESBFL Knock Out Cup Round Two

Hedingham United FC v Gosfield United FC


Gareth Nolan’s Hedingham United welcomed Mark Wiskin’s Gosfield United to Lawn Meadow for this knock-out cup local derby. Both sides are doing well in their respective leagues with Hedingham mid-table of the Premier Division while the visitors are top of Division Three.

Both sides entered the pitch with Hedingham United Under 8s as mascots then we had a two minutes silence which was held before the game in remembrance for those who lost their lives in the World Wars. We Shall Remember.
The home side got us underway at Lawn Meadow and it was a very slow start to the game. Barrie Pullinger Hedingham Forward had an early effort blocked but Gosfield had the first clear cut chances. A quick counter-attack from Gosfield fell to Jake Gilder on the half way line, with no support around him he had no choice but to go alone. He took on Hedingham Defender Sam Jones and got to the edge of the box, he looked up and cut inside before curling a shot towards goal but Hedingham goalkeeper Daniel Mustoe caught comfortably. On 15 minutes the deadlock was broken and it was the hosts who were ahead. Ollie Clifford played the ball out wide to Robert Consontin who ran down the byline before looking up, floating in a brilliant ball for Pullinger to place into the bottom right corner off his thigh. Hedingham up 1-0!
Just 3 minutes later and Hedingham doubled their lead. Some brilliant play in the middle of the field between Brad Abbot, Ollie Clifford and Jaimie Chandler saw Chandler drive through midfield towards the box. He looked up and played a ball out wide to Consontin who made a great run down the byline, he delivered another great ball into the run of Abbot who on the half volley slotted home to make it 2-0 Hedingham United!
Hedingham were on the hunt for a 3rd and came so close on 21 minutes, Some great work by Jack Harrod down the far left saw him beat his man and seeing captain Steve Hill with space on the edge of the box before playing a fantastic to him. Instinctively Hill hit a first-time volley towards goal, only to see it crash against the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

With 32 minutes on the clock, the visitors hit back. Gosfield captain Adam Smith with a huge throw that was lofted into the six-yard box and with the slightest touch of Ryan Vickery, the ball creeped into the bottom left corner. Gosfield were back in the game, 2-1!
Minutes later and Gosfield were almost level. Another long throw in by Smith was once again causing problems for Hedingham, with keeper Mustoe only able to clear an attack with his fist as far as Harry Mills who fired at goal. Mustoe saved well once again but the rebound fell to Bobby Pike who hit a low, powerful shot but a fantastic off-the-line clearance by Alec Pyman kept Hedingham in front.
Hedingham then went and punished Gosfield. From 30 yards out Clifford hit a stinger of a low shot into the box with Adam Smith stretching out, poking the ball past Hobster and into the back of the net to make it 3-1 to Hedingham United!
With the half-time whistle about to go, Gosfield had a huge chance to grab an important goal back. Smith with another huge throw into 6-yard-box was flicked on and directed brilliantly by Vickery towards the goal but Mustoe held on really well.

HT: Hedingham United 3-1 Gosfield United

Gosfield kicked us off in the second half and soon enough had the chance the grab a goal back. Luke Jones got down the byline and played a fantastic ball over to Gilder who controlled it down, cut in past Jones and curled a shot to the top left corner but Mustoe made another fantastic save to the deficit to 2.
Abbot then went close with a shot from the edge of the box for Hedingham however on the 62 minute mark, Hedingham took one step closer to reaching the third round. A mistake at the back saw Hedingham latch onto it, a brilliant ball to Clifford who opened up and fired into the bottom left corner past Hobster. 4-1 to Hedingham United!
Gosfield, to their credit, kept fighting. Gilder beat Jordan Finch down the right-hand side and played a clever ball back to Alex Greaves who opened up and struck a powerful shot at goal. Once again Mustoe was beaten only for Hill to complete some excellent defending by clearing the shot off the line. Smith took the resulting corner and swung a great ball in onto the head of Vickery but he headed way over the bar.

Mustoe, arguably the busier of the goalkeepers, was once again called into action to pull off a brilliant save. Greaves played a ball to the edge of the box to teammate Josh Green who fired first time at goal. Defender Pyman made a fantastic block but the rebound fell to Green who laid it off to Greaves who, 6 yards out, fired at goal only to be denied again by Mustoe. With 5 minutes left Gosfield were rewarded for their perseverance. Gilder doing well the right-hand side crossed a ball to Pike who controlled the ball well on the edge of the box, quickly turning before releasing a shot that went into the bottom left corner to make it 4-2!
With just minutes left, Mustoe was called into action again when Greaves opened up on the edge of the box but the keeper saved comfortably. Two minutes later and the referee blew his whistle to end a great game of football.

FT: Hedingham United 4-2 Gosfield United

An entertaining game of football at Lawn Meadow. Gareth Nolan’s men playing some fantastic football throughout the game but massive credit to Gosfield who never gave up and really tested the Hedingham team. Brilliant hospitality at Hedingham once again, brilliant club!

MOTM: Alec Pyman (Hedingham United)

MOTM: Adam Smith (Gosfield United)

Hedingham Utd LINE UP| Mustoe, Hill (C), Jones, Chandler, Archer, Abbot, Clifford, Bellamy, Pyman, Pullinger, Consontin

SUBS| Taylor, Finch

Gosfield Utd LINE UP| Hobster, Ellis, Mills, Vickery, Pike, Smith (C), Gilder, Green, Blackburn, Bowman, Turner.

SUBS| Greaves, Jones, Slater


Referee:                                  Matthew Webb

Assistant Referees:           Pedro Das Neves Ferreira

and                                   James McMillan

Leave a Reply