Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

14/11/2018 – REPORT – Long Melford FC Reserves versus FC Clacton Reserves

Match Report – Written by: Spencer Hume                             Edited by Daniel Dunne.

Wednesday 14th November 2018

Essex and Suffolk Border League Division Two:

Long Melford Reserves v FC Clacton Reserves.

Long Melford Reserves welcomed Clacton Reserves to Stoneylands on Wednesday evening. Before the start of the game Clacton sat in 2nd, unbeaten in their last 4 games whereas the visitors had just come off a 3-0 win in the Suffolk Cup against Mildenhall Town Reserves.

The hosts got us underway at Stoneylands and 2 minutes into the game they should have been ahead. Addy Roy got in behind the Clacton defence and found himself in a one-on-one with keeper Woods who came rushing off his line, but Roy could only shoot wide of the post. 6 minutes later and Roy should have put Melford ahead once again. A brilliantly timed ball over the top by Cory Willings saw Roy bring it down well but he fired straight into the hands of Woods. Melford continued to push forward and it was Roy once again who managed to get a shot away but again, he failed to hit the net, instead turning it into catching practice for Woods. A scrappy half of football continued with very few chances for the visitors however they did come close when a corner ball was delivered really well with Daniels heading inches wide.
Clacton ended the half really well and had a great chance when Terence Kangandu got a shot away from 25 yards out, but the keeper saw it all the way. With the first half nearing its end, Melford missed another huge chance to go 1-0 up. Will Howe, controlling the ball well from a long ball, played a ball to Roy who, with a fantastic touch, opened himself up and shot at goal which whistled past the keeper’s left-hand post.

HT: Long Melford Reserves 0-0 FC Clacton Reserves

The second half kicked off and it was the visitors turn to try and force an opening goal. Thompson played a fantastic ball in from a corner which managed to evade everyone in the box, found the run of Gregory who slid in at the back post but shot wide. Melford should have punished straight away. Roy picked the ball up in midfield and slotted a through ball to the feet of Norman who through on goal with no defenders around him, scuffed his shot embarrassingly wide.
The deadlock was finally broken on 52 minutes and it was the visitors who punished the home team for a load of missed chances. Bradley Smith played a ball into the box onto the head of Adam Daniels who’s effort was straight at the keeper however the Melford keeper loss of concentration provided a Daniels with a chance to nick it off him and slot into an empty net!
The Clacton defence must have thought the job was done after they scored because they were caught sleeping by the Melford attack. Melford were awarded a penalty by the referee as Newton drove into the box and was recklessly fouled by a Clacton defender. Roy, who had been wasteful for Melford so far, made no mistake from the spot and slotted home to make it 1-1!
With the visitors back into the game and high on confidence, they looked for a 2nd and to take control of the game. They almost doubled their lead when Howe and Williams played a quick one-two in the box before Williams placing his shot towards the bottom right of the goal however a brilliant clearance off the line kept the score at one-a-piece.
Clacton then Hit the hosts on the counter by going straight up the other end. Another fantastic ball into the box from a corner was diverted towards the goal by a Melford defender before skimming the bar and out of play for a goal kick. Another massive chance gone wasting.
Melford then took the lead. Archie Pether with some fantastic footwork in the middle of the park played a brilliant ball through the middle of the Clacton defence into the run of George Day. With Roy through on goal, Clacton Keeper Woods came out, made himself big and produced a fantastic save with his feet to deny Day and save his defenders blushes! Pether then released an outstanding effort from 30 yards which produced an even better save by the impressive Woods to prevent Melford taking the lead.
With 10 minutes left on the clock, Clacton were awarded a fantastic opportunity to go 2:1 up. Terence was fouled down the far-left hand side which Sam Thompson stepped up to curl an outstanding free kick off the inside of the post and into the back of the net to give Clacton a vital lead!
Long Melford 1-2 FC Clacton!
Melford pushed on but couldn’t find a way through a stubborn Clacton defence; Howe went close from a cross and Roy had another header saved. With just two minutes left, Melford were almost found the equaliser the were desperate for Day, with a dangerous ball into the box, met the head of Roy who’s shot went straight at the keeper!

FT: Long Melford Reserves 1-2 FC Clacton Reserves

A fantastic win for Clacton who take home a hard fought, 3 points, from a very tough away fixture. Melford missed some great chances that they really should’ve finished. The manager will be wondering how they haven’t come away with at least a point. Best of luck to both for the remainder of the season!

MOTM: TY Williams (Long Melford)

MOTM: Thomas Woods (FC Clacton)

Long Melford LINE UP| Bett, Barnes, Williams, McNicholas, Roy, Michaels, Newman, Williams, Roy, Howe, Newton

SUBS| Pether, Tricker, Day, Carter,

FC Clacton LINE UP| Woods, Eldridge, Smith, Richardson, Gregory, Lamb, Simon, Foresythe, Daniels, Kangandu, Thompson.

SUBS| Brown


REFEREE| Mariusz Burcham

Leave a Reply