Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

22/08/2018 – REPORT – White Notley FC versus Earls Colne FC





WHITE NOTLEY FC:        5.                           EARLS COLNE FC:           2.


Date:               Wednesday 22nd August 2018.         Venue:            Oak Farm, White Notley.


More evening games this week, three on Tuesday and three on Wednesday, if you are a “Facebook” User you may have noticed the report for the Alresford Colne Rangers FC {2} versus West Bergholt FC {1} and Wednesdays report on the Barnston AFC {1} versus Hedinghams United FC {1} both produced by Spencer Hume. For me, on Tuesday I was otherwise occupied but on Wednesday I opted to watch White Notley FC entertain Earls Colne FC and anybody watching, definitely, saw the proverbial game of two halves as the home team triumphed to go top of the table, early days I know but I still believe a new name could be on the trophy this season.


Upon arrival, I must say I was very impressed with the playing surface which was greened up nicely and had been cut in a circular pattern, obviously the groundsman has plenty of time on his hands, I jest of course, as it takes dedication to produce a quality football pitch and keep it playable. As usual a warm welcome from Dave Roberts, also the tea-man and later Jack Daniels. White Notley FC have recruited Craig Jay to manage their team and with certain stalwart players leaving, he has brought in many new faces with his team, on the night bearing little resemblance to White Notley FC teams of recent past. Likewise, Earls Colne FC have recruited Chris Hudson to manage the village team, although he was not available on the night the team was managed once again by “Clubman” Robin Bragg and Gary Pearse. Many new faces also appeared on the team-sheet with only a handful being with the club last season and clearly the tie-up with Coggeshall United FC will give their fringe players a chance to play regularly.


On a warm but overcast evening, tonight’s referee was Carl Pearce, many of you will recall his presence in the ESBFL several years ago and for this match he would be assisted by Jack Ridge and Stephen Viera, as a team you hardly noticed they were there as both teams knuckled down to play competitive football, this after the “mandatory” {to all divisions} “Respect” handshake was observed..


Earls Colne kicked off, down the slight slope towards the clubhouse where a decent crowd had gathered, Knowles and Cant clashed heads, for the first stoppage, then Matangi fouled Scofield, Knowles found Gooday from where King sent in a left footed cross to keeper, Phillips, who cleared upfield. Matangi, for Earls Colne showed some neat footwork before back-heeling the ball into the path of Cant who gained, a corner off Palmer. Loveridge, signed on the night, took the corner with Parrott heading wide at the far post, the first of many chances for the visitors. With five minutes elapsed this game had the makings of an entertaining match, both teams had won two and lost one of their opening games, let’s see what happens. Knowles and Newton set Duckworth forward, but his left-footed cross found the safe arms of keeper, Phillips. Loveridge rounded Palmer to cross goal-wards but Stocking headed out for a corner, taken by Loveridge, home keeper, Colville missed his attempted punch to clear, Matangi scuffed the loose ball goal-wards only for Duckworth to clear off the goal-line. Keeper, Phillips had to control a high back-pass from Parrott as Knowles closed in and Knowles was prepared to hold the ball up for White Notley, waiting for team colleagues to arrive in support.

On fifteen minutes a long throw-in from Matthews found the head of Matangi who flicked the ball on to Loveridge, but he failed to control the ball and scuffed the ball wide with the home defence scrambling back. A long clearance from keeper, Phillips, found Matangi who forced defender Leftly to concede a corner, taken as before by Loveridge who kick found the head of Matangi who rose highest only to head wide. A goal-kick taken by keeper, Colville saw Newton foul Parrott, bit obvious that one, Cant ran onto a pass from Loveridge with Leftly defending for a corner which once again caused confusion in the home defence and bounced right across the six yard box and it was the visitors that held the balance of play but had so far failed to make their chances count! On twenty minutes Parrott found Matangi who played the ball on to Matthews who sent in a great cross which beat keeper, Colville and the despairing lunge of Matangi, and another chance goes begging then when Scofield fouled Matangi the free-kick from Loveridge took one bounce before being collected by the keeper, the ball only needed a touch for a goal! Duckworth used his experience to stop a penetrating run from Matthews who had got behind Gray and when play switched to the other end Parrott claimed the ball from Gray only for Matthews to foul King close to the centre-circle.

Knowles found enough space to use his pace when running at the retreating Earls Colne defence however a combination of Parrott, keeper, Phillips and Carter saw the ball cleared. Loveridge found Matangi who headed the ball on to Matthews who forced Gray to concede a corner, taken by Loveridge with Parrott once again rising to head over the cross-bar as Earls Colne continued their more positive approach despite plenty of effort from both sets of players. Leftly fouled Matangi just wide of centre field, Loveridge again sent in a right footed free-kick with Gray clearing and ten minutes remained to half time when Gray and Newton pushed forward with midfielder Snaith tracking back to concede a corner for the home team. Once again, the Earls Colne defence cleared the danger and Matthews set Matangi away with Gray pushing the ball out for a throw-in, then Mathews crossed into the penalty area, Gray headed clear with the ball falling to Matthews whose volley found the head of Debell and his header was snapped up on his goal-line by keeper, Colville. On forty minutes Earls Colne scored a long overdue goal, Matangi laid the ball off to JORDAN SNAITH who took a touch before shooting past keeper, Colville. Another dangerous corner from the right foot of Loveridge followed and his opposite number King fired in a curling shot which flew wide from a pass by Gooday. In the last minute of the half, the persistence of Knowles saw him force Carter into an attempted back-pass to keeper, Phillips, who honestly conceded a corner, taken by Stocking onto the head of the unmarked EDWARD NEWTON who scored with a fine header. To be honest, whilst that was a fine headed goal for White Notley the visitors should, on the number of chances, have been three or four goals ahead by the break.


HALF-TIME:    1 – 1.


White Notley restarted this entertaining match and immediately Gooday was played in to shoot off Easter for a corner, a run from King set Newton clear to cross with the ball reaching Duckworth whose volley was turned aside for a throw-in off Easter. The home team kept up the pressure through a long throw-in from Newton which found King and from his cross-field ball Knowles was caught off-site. On fifty minutes another long throw-in from Newton fell to Scofield whose initial shot on the turn was blocked by Parrott only to ricochet off Tracey into the path of RYAN SCOFIELD who slotted home from six yards out. Earls Colne, despite what was probably an informed half-time team talk had yet to get started this half, whereas the home team started as they ended the first half, on the attack and it had already paid off, perhaps a bit fortuitous but they all count. Earls Colne keeper, Phillips made a fine save from Gooday who had got behind Parrott and Easter, Knowles, a player returning from injury, was clearly relishing this evenings match, once again chasing down the visitor’s defence, this from a through ball from King. Earls Colne started their first attack of the half when keeper, Phillips found Snaith who laid the ball off to Loveridge who forced keeper, Colville into a save low to his left side.

Cant, for the visitors had two attempts to dispossess King only to foul him mid-half and we had reached the hour mark, and when MATTHEW KNOWLES tricked his way into the penalty area he beat keeper, Phillips only for defender Parrott to turn the ball into his own net, own goal, try telling that to Knowles and what a turn-around we had! From the restart, Loveridge was played through by Matangi forcing keeper, Colville into a fine save when advancing from his goal-line and in this half the home defence looked far more secure. Newton and Knowles set up the next home attack with Palmer crossing into the arms of keeper, Phillips and from his clearance King was back defending bringing the ball out to find Knowles. On sixty-five minutes Earls Colne replaced Matthews with Nichols but before we could draw breath White Notley scored a fourth goal, Palmer made a break down the right side finding King whose cultured right footed cross was turned in at the far post by MATTHEW KNOWLES. With twenty minutes to play King fouled Loveridge, Gray fouled Matangi, the free-kick taken by Loveridge hit the defensive wall before the taker shot over the cross-bar from the rebound. Knowles chased down another clearance to find Scofield who probably thought he had scored until keeper, Phillips excelled with a fine one handed save leaping to tip the ball over the cross-bar.

On seventy-four minutes Earls Colne replaced Snaith with May and they pulled a goal back when Loveridge drove down to the goal-line before turning the ball back to MWETSI MATANGI who side stepped a lazy challenge to score with ease from ten yards. White Notley replaced King with Ifield and Earls Colne changed Parrott for Keane but Knowles drifted forward to cause more problems for the visitors with his pace. With ten minutes remaining May blocked a shot from Knowles only for his team to make it five goals with seven minutes remaining, this time JOSH GOODAY fired home past the defensive wall from a direct free-kick. White Notley then replaced both Knowles and Gooday with Falco and Butnaru, at the other end Earls Colne persisted with Keane finding Loveridge who set up Debell whose shot just cleared the cross-bar. As the game entered additional time we had the first case of players being spoken too, Ifield chased a long ball forward, fouling Loveridge who was clearly unhappy, a talking too was deemed sufficient and the game ended a minute later.


FULL TIME:     5 – 2.


I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining match, seven goals but there could have been more if Earls Colne had scored from the numerous chances created in the first half, credit to White Notley for weathering the storm before dominating the second half.


Now for my Player-of-the-Match choice, apparently you cannot use “man” anymore, so I stand politically corrected! Both teams made this game a credit to the ESBFL, Parrott, Matangi and new signing Loveridge looked sharp for the visitors who as a team played some of the best football I have seen from them over several seasons. However, not knowing many of the players on show in this match I don’t much about them so when turning to White Notley, Gray and Leftly got their defensive act together in the second half, Stocking, Newton, Scofield and particularly King looked a useful midfield group with forwards Gooday and Knowles whose constant threat and two goals just about swings my, difficult, choice, perhaps a team effort is more appropriate but I’ve named most of them anyway.




WHITE NOTLEY FC:                                        Colours:            Amber Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks.

Kieran Colville., Ben Palmer., James Duckworth (C)., Jamie Gray., Derrick Leftly., Daniel Stocking., Edward Newton., Ryan Scofield., Matthew Knowles., Josh Gooday., Robert King.


Manager:                      Craig Jay.

Used Substitutes:          Lee Ifield., Pater Falco., Adrian Butnaru.

Unused Substitutes:      Dean Grace., Kevin Hawes.



EARLS COLNE FC:                                           Colours:            Blue Shirts, Blue Shorts and Blue Socks.

Toby Phillis., Callum Carter (C)., Adrian Cant., Callum Tracey., Joe Parrott., Cameron Easter., Jordan Matthews., Jordan Snaith., Mwetsi Matangi (Mo)., Joe Debell., Ricky Loveridge.


Manager:                      Robin Bragg (Acting).

Coach:                          Gary Pearce

Used Substitutes:          Jack Nicholls., Tyler Keane., Stephen May

Unused Substitutes:      Ted Forbes



Referee:                       Carl Pearce                   (Colchester)

Assistants:                    Jack Ridge                    (Wickham Bishops)

and                              Stephen Viera               (Braintree)



Player-of-the-Match:            Matthew KNOWLES   (WHITE NOTLEY FC)




Additional Reporting – FACEBOOK (x2) & TWITTER



This season the ESBFL is widening its match-day reporting coverage, in addition to a full report written by Brian Reed, the league has enlisted the help of a young volunteer, Spencer Hume, who will also attend games using Facebook and Twitter to communicate up-to-date information and replicate other match reports, please make him welcome.





Reminder to Club / Fixture Secretaries


Once again this season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advise any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 3:00pm from:         August to October

KO is 2:00pm in:              November, December & January

KO is 2:30pm in:              February

KO is 3:00pm from:         March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.


Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:


Clubs are reminded that the following documents are all available on this website under Clubs / Documents etc:


ESBFL Handbook,

Player Registration Sheet,

Player “Signed-On-Match-Day” Form,

Player Transfer Form,

Match Postponement Form,

Referee – Low Mark Form

Leave a Reply