Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

25/08/2018 – REPORT – Stanway Pegasus FC versus Cavendish FC



STANWAY PEGASUS FC:           4.                           CAVENDISH FC:              2.

Date:               Saturday 25th August 2018.  Venue:            Melville Barracks, Colchester Garrison.


It was down to Division Two on Saturday and after an unscheduled change to the venue, well it was for me, I arrived at the Melville Barracks Sports Facility just in time to witness kick-off. Stanway Pegasus FC, formerly AFC Pegasus, have changed from being a successful Sunday outfit to play on Saturdays and after being elected into the ESBFL and given their perceived strength they were placed in Division Two. That decision seems to be borne out correctly as they have now been victorious in their opening three matches with some well-known faces amongst their starting line-up, read on and you will see what I mean! On the other-hand Cavendish FC, who last season, finished third in the Colchester & East Essex Football League and again after being elected were also placed in Division Two with this match being their opening fixture and with it being a Bank Holiday weekend were short of a couple of players.


Richard Oakes was the dedicated referee for this match and he would be assisted by Club volunteers on an afternoon that promised goals and with a hope that the rain clouds kept away long enough for us to enjoy the match.


Cavendish kicked-off and after three minutes Chaplin, took a quick free-kick, playing the ball towards King (A) whose run at goal was blocked off by Davis who shielded the ball out of play for a goal-kick. Booth (M) found Bryan whose effort was comfortably held by stand-in keeper, Brightwell, Dillon found Booth (M) wide on the left side but again keeper, Brightwell held the ball and the early passage of play saw Stanway Pegasus pushing forward almost at will with a run from Dillon leading to a pass inside to Braddon who shot well wide. Bolton fouled Bryan in a central position, taken by Booth (M) who curled the ball around the defensive wall where keeper Brightwell excelled by pushing the ball out for a corner at the foot of the post. Rahiti took the corner kick, left-footed with Taylor (A) clearing but the home team pushed forward again with Booth (M) running through only for keeper, Brightwell to make ground and block on the edge of the penalty area. On ten minutes Stanway Pegasus should really have opened the scoring, Rahiti and Craig linked up to put Booth (M) through but when lobbing the advancing keeper his attempt bounced wide of the gaping goal. Cavendish rallied and from a pass from Bolton, the ball fell to Brewster, but his control let him down allowing Braddon to head back to his young keeper, Simpson. Chaplin took a throw-in to King (A), but Dillon won the tackle and ran forward to set Booth (M) away with only keeper Brightwell to beat however the ball bounced agonisingly wide of the right hand upright.

King (A) and Taylor (H) for the visitors were both caught off-side from a through ball from Chaplin this after Payne had lost possession on the half-way line then another corner from Rahiti saw a towering header from Dillon fly over the cross-bar and the chances for, tally was rising. Chaplin was injured when Craig landed on his leg from an aerial challenge and when play re-commenced Braddon found Booth (M) whose cross was met first time by Bryan and with the keeper beaten it was left to Chaplin to clear of the goal-line. As we approached the mid-half point Craig, running wide onto a pass from Rahiti, set up Payne to cross with Bolton heading clear and Rahiti thought he had picked out Payne but the off-side flag was raised, once again the passage of play came from the dominant home team, it was just that final pass that was letting them down. An interception and chase forward by Holmes from Clark almost led to a goal for the visitors, Dillon tanked into the unfortunate Chaplin, no free-kick and Stanway Pegasus strung a fine move together through Rahiti, McIlwaine, Craig, Davis and then Bryan whose lay-off to Payne was scuffed wide of the goal. Cavendish won a corner when Chaplin sent the ball long to Brewster who used his pace to gain the kick off Rahiti, Taylor (H) took the corner kick but straight into the arms of keeper, Simpson standing on the goal-line.

On thirty minutes the prompting of Chaplin once again led to Brewster getting a corner off Clark, taken again by Taylor (H) but straight to the keeper who rolled the ball out to Braddon who set Dillon away, but he dragged his shot wide. Craig out-muscled Holmes to push forward across the half-way line but as Cavendish gained possession the long ball forward caused panic in the home defence where Clark headed past his own keeper who was quick to regain his ground and slide in to turn the ball away for a corner, taken by Taylor (H) but headed over the cross-bar by Brewster. Stanway Pegasus took the lead on thirty-five minutes when Booth (M) skipped past the challenge of Bolton and when the ball ran loose Bolton’s attempted clearance cannoned off MAX BOOTH into the unguarded net. Rumsey forced keeper Simpson to parry a decent shot on goal and play quickly went to the other end where, Booth (M) almost capitalised but on thirty-seven minutes a fine cross from Davis was headed over the keeper by LUKE PAYNE and the home team, at last had some daylight. Dillon powered into another hefty challenge on Chaplin finding Payne whose pass was held up by Bryan before Craig got up in support. Booth (M) set up Dillon whose driven shot was blocked by Bolton on the edge of the penalty area, but it was Cavendish who scored next with just two minutes to the break. A high ball forward found Clark and McIlwaine hesitant on the edge of their penalty area so when keeper, Simpson called for the ball he failed to reach its location and the tall CHRIS BREWSTER jumped highest to head a bouncing ball goal-wards into the empty net. The half-time whistle followed moments later, Stanway Pegasus had dominated proceedings but had only scored twice whereas Cavendish had battled to remain in contention and scored what could have been a crucial goal just before the break, they were certainly still in this match.


HALF-TIME:    2 – 1.


Cavendish made an immediate substitution replacing Rumsey with King (O) before Stanway Pegasus kicked-off, attacking down the left side with Booth (M) hitting the base of the post before being flagged off-side, this from a free-kick take by Rahiti with Craig sending in the vital cross. Payne picked up a poor clearance from Taylor, beating two static defenders before shooting high and wide of the goal, Craig dribbled through but keeper, Brightwell saved, then a classy run and dribble by Booth (M) led to him beating several players before over-running the ball allowing keeper, Brightwell to retrieve the situation. On fifty-five minutes Stanway Pegasus replaced Payne and Owen with Dale and Allison and we received a short, sharp shower despite the storm clouds gathering over west Colchester. Dillon launched a high up-and-under ball which was headed out for a corner by Jackson only for the visitors to clear upfield and score just before the hour mark. Another defensive mistake this one, McIlwaine played a harmless back-pass towards his keeper, Simpson whose clearance was poor, and it allowed HAYDN TAYLOR to roll he ball into the empty net from the edge of the penalty area, now we did have a game, just as a clap of thunder fololowed a flash of lightning.

When Booth (M) was injured, play was stopped, and the home management made a point of instructing a change of formation to 4-4-2, pushing Braddon, Craig, Dillon and Allison into midfield with Dale supporting Booth (M) in attack. Stanway Pegasus still showed a defensive frailty as when King robbed McIlwaine he clipped the ball over the keeper and cross-bar, so close, however, Dillon found Dale whose left footed shot on the turn forced keeper, Brightwell into a smart save, with Taylor (A) completing the clearance. McIlwaine was replaced by Bugg on sixty-five minutes, Holmes found King (A) who sent a left-footed volley just over the cross-bar then Brewster found Taylor (H) whose left-footed effort flew narrowly wide and Stanway Pegasus looked very agitated as Cavendish frustrated them at the back and created a couple of decent chances themselves. Dale was adjudged to have raised his foot too high against Taylor (A), I think shoulder height is a bit too high and this was right in front of the match official!

Chaplin was in the wars again when he was fouled by Allison wide on the left side, and with twenty minutes remaining Stanway Pegasus took the lead once again, the persistence of Craig inside the penalty area led to a goal-mouth scramble with MAX BOOTH slotting the ball home from close range. Booth (M) passed to Dale who found Craig whose shot with the outside of his boot curled nicely into the arms of keeper, Brightwell. In the next attack, Dillon found Allison who was promptly dumped on the ground by Bolton, who received a caution, no argument there and Cavendish introduced Miller in place of Brewster who had led the visitors attacking line well. Booth (M) raced onto a pass from Craig but Miller was covering for a throw-in, from which Dillon “bull-dozed” his way forward to win a corner, taken by Rahiti but comfortably defended by Bolton. With twelve minutes remaining Rahiti scythed down Holmes from where Taylor (H) fired in a great left-footed free-kick which was matched by an equally fine save by keeper, Simpson, atoning for his earlier error perhaps. From the corner taken by Chaplin, Braddon rose to head skywards with Simpson being fouled as the ball fell inside the six-yard box, Simpson took the free-kick finding Dillon who turned, before setting off towards the Cavendish goal winning a corner off keeper, Brightwell. Corners from Rahiti had been well placed, Booth (M) often running towards the taker before dummying the ball which invariably skipped through across the penalty area. With five minutes remaining, Stanway Pegasus won another corner, Rahiti drove the ball, this time to the far post where Dillon rose to head powerfully goal-wards where the unfortunate Bolton handled the ball whilst standing on the goal-line, an obvious penalty and by the letter of the rule of the game, Bolton was dismissed. No guesses as to who might take the penalty, already on two goals up stepped MAX BOOTH to calmly slot home to complete his hat-trick and his team’s fourth goal. Perhaps slightly deflated by that goal Cavendish were at odds when Simpson found Craig whose cross to Booth (M) was crossed towards Braddon who scuffed a decent chance wide, Booth (M) waltzed through against Jackson before Taylor (A) conceded a late corner, taken by Rahiti to Bugg whose header was headed out by keeper, Brightwell and the final whistle was blown.


FULL TIME:     4 – 2.


Another game that I enjoyed, despite arriving just as the game started, Stanway Pegasus as perhaps expected will give many teams a hard, competitive game, a mixture of youth and experience at a higher level will probably make then favourites to win the division. That said, credit to a gallant Cavendish team that battled throughout, weathered the first half where they had been out-played and in the second half plugged away and but for a fine save may have drawn level again before that late penalty and dismissal occurred.


Now for my Player-of-the-Match choice, for Cavendish a team effort against a quality side, Brewster looked useful up front, both Taylor’s worked hard in defence and midfield respectively with Ashdown and King doing their best in midfield. Stanway Pegasus, who now top the Division Two table, had numerous players on show that I have seen many times before, I won’t mention them again, but new players that stood out were sixteen-year old, keeper, Simpson, defenders Davis and Rahiti with Payne in midfield however with three goals and an all-round display of attacking football my selection is Max Booth.





Colours:            Yellow & Black Shirts, Black Shorts and Yellow & Black Socks.


Jamie Simpson., Joseph Davis., Samir Rahiti., Lee Braddon., Sam Clark., Gary McIlwaine., Eldon Craig., Luke Payne., Owen Bryan., Max Booth., Josh Dillon (C).


Managers:                    Ray Turner & Ian Booth.

Used Substitutes:          Daniel Bugg., Harry Allison., Ryan Dale.

Unused Substitutes:      Ollie Booth., Joshua Gray.




Colours:            Red & Black Shirts, Black Shorts and Black Socks.


Gavin Brightwell., William Chaplin., Robert Jackson., Aaron Taylor., Ben Bolton., Chris Brewster., Joe Rumsey., Daniel Ashdown., Adam King., Haydn Taylor., Charlie Holmes.


Manager:                      David King

Used Substitutes:          James Miller., Oliver King.

Unused Substitutes:      Oliver Ditton.



Referee:                       Richard Oakes               (Colchester)



Player-of-the-Match:            Max BOOTH    (STANWAY PEGASUS FC)




Additional Reporting – FACEBOOK (x2) & TWITTER



This season the ESBFL is widening its match-day reporting coverage, in addition to a full report written by Brian Reed, the league has enlisted the help of a young volunteer, Spencer Hume, who will also attend games using Facebook and Twitter to communicate up-to-date information and replicate other match reports, please make him welcome.





Reminder to Club / Fixture Secretaries


Once again this season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advise any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 3:00pm from:         August to October

KO is 2:00pm in:              November, December & January

KO is 2:30pm in:              February

KO is 3:00pm from:         March to end of season

Leave a Reply