Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

29/08/2018 – REPORT – Hedinghams United FC versus West Bergholt FC





HEDINGHAMS UNITED FC:      0.                 WEST BERGHOLT FC:               6.


Date:               Wednesday 29th August 2018.        

Venue:            Lawn Meadow, Sible Hedingham.


More evening games this week, a Division One match on Tuesday with six Premier Division games on Wednesday, my Facebook colleague covered the entertaining Great Bentley FC {3} versus Dedham Old Boys FC {5} whilst I travelled to Sible Hedingham for the Hedinghams United FC versus West Bergholt FC match and once again we both had plenty of goals to report on.


Hedinghams United FC, under the new management of Gareth Nolan drew with Barnston AFC last mid-week whereas West Bergholt had lost their last two games, despite apparently dominating proceedings but failing to score more than their opposition, so tonight there was more than just pride to play for, according to their new Manager, Chris Tracey. A decent local gathering had assembled, and the home team were led out by members of their youth movement with both competing teams, who still had players arriving fifteen minutes before kick-off, agreeing on two forty-minute halves and a reduced half-time period.


Tonight’s referee was Michael Jarvis who would be assisted by Keith Barron and Derrick Parker, another official back with the ESBFL this season.


Hedinghams kicked-off playing down the notorious slope with Pyman playing the ball back to Pullinger who brought the ball out of midfield with Keeble clearing the danger for a throw-in on the far side, taken by Breedon to Gillam whose long, attempted lob was fielded by back-pedalling keeper, Bethell (L) on his six-yard line. Pyman fouled Bethell (J) with the free-kick taken by Springett only finding keeper, Wells and from his long clearance Gillam and Pyman chased downfield but Bethell (J) and Weir tracked back to defend with Springett still getting back into a defensive position. After five minutes Davison played the ball forward to Weir whose passed with the out-side of his foot, wide to Bethell (B) who ran on but over-payed the ball to keeper, Wells. The West Bergholt defence had adopted a high line whilst playing uphill and managed to spray the ball around the pitch almost at will with Bethell (J) finding Bethell (B) and from his pass Harrington had a shot charged down by Chandler which led to Loe conceding a corner, taken long by Springett, with Jones heading clear at the far post. Despite a bright start by Hedinghams it was West Bergholt that were now pushing forward, Harrington beat Chandler in the air and Bethell (B) ran on to cross with Breedon heading clear to Loe who found Pullinger whose diagonal cross-field ball found Pyman, but Farthing played the ball off the forward for a goal-kick. On thirteen minutes Townrow fed Davison who set Weir through on a chase, Weir fell to ground under a challenge from Chandler, however, a shout for a penalty was totally ignored by the match official, and it looked the right call from my perspective.

He first goal was not long in coming, Springett sent a long ball forward into the space behind the home defence, from where DAVID WEIR chested the ball down before clipping the ball over the stranded keeper, simples! Voices were a raised from the respective management benches, calling for unity and more effort at this early stage of the match. Keeper, Wells was guilty of over-hitting his long balls forward which were always comfortably dealt with by Farthing and White, whereas keeper, Bethell (L) sent a high ball to Harrington who was fouled by Taylor, the free-kick taken by Springett flew straight to keeper, Wells. Davison than gave the ball away with a stray pass, Jones moved forward to find Pyman and then Gillam before Low crossed with White clearing. Hedinghams, again through Taylor found Pyman and his cross found Loe who had stayed forward with the return cross finding the head of Pullinger and goal-kick followed. A quickly taken free-kick by Springett set Townrow away down the right side with Hedinghams desperately defending to clear forward to Gillam who set Pyman up to show some juggling skills before volleying wide. On twenty-five minutes Bethell (B) raced forward, defender Breedon came across to defend and in my mind clearly missed both the ball and Bethell (B) who fell theatrically to the ground, no free-kick for simulation was given and play continued with the ball running on to Weir who was un-ceremoniously dumped on the ground, inside the penalty area with a spot kick awarded, scored by LIAM SPRINGETT despite keeper, Wells guessing the right way, well his left side actually. Hedinghams now found themselves two goals down and they had been guilty of over-playing the long ball which were easily dealt with by an uncompromising West Bergholt team who gave no home player any time on the ball and mistakes were made.

Loe had a long punt at goal for Hedinghams whilst at the other end the pace of Weir saw him round Jones before forcing keeper, Wells into a low save with a shot on the run, however the keeper spilled the ball and JACK HARRINGTON had the simplest of tasks to score number three from the ensuing scramble. When Gillam fouled Bethell (J) in a central position twenty-five yards out, Springett stepped up to fire the free-kick against the defensive wall and worse followed on thirty-five minutes when a cross from Weir was not defended inside the six-yard box allowing LEE TOWNROW to stab the ball home and really this game was over as a contest!


HALF-TIME:    0 – 4.   {40 minutes}


West Bergholt restarted the half after a reduced half-time break, it was long enough for the home team to get the “hair-dryer” treatment in the dressing room and they started better when Breedon and Taylor knocked the ball to Pullinger through midfield but once again that final pass was intercepted and Weir out-paced the home defence forcing Chandler to hurriedly clear a low cross. Springett was given a second warning for throwing the ball away, why do players do that, ever, especially when four goals ahead! Springett sent a fine cross in to Harrington who was beaten in the air by keeper, Wells, and Hedinghams replaced the injured Breedon with Webb, when play resumed Keeble made a fine run forward only for Pullinger to charge down the final shot at goal but Hedinghams had not heeded the warning signs, give the ball away at your peril! On fifty minutes Hedinghams replaced Low with Wilson and West Bergholt replaced White with Kiley whose first touch set Bethell (J) through only for keeper, Wells to advance and smother the ball which went out of play, off Bethell (J) for a goal-kick.

A cross from Wilson found Gillam but Davison covered to find Bethell (J) and his pass split the home defence which allowed Weir in on goal again with keeper, Wells once again saving low to his left side. Davison tried his luck from thirty yards, the ball dipping just over the cross-bar but the visitors scored again when Harrington held the ball up before clipping the ball over the closest defenders from where DANIEL KEEBLE ran on to head the bouncing ball over the advancing keeper for number five. On fifty-seven minutes West Bergholt replaced Weir with Murrells entering play and three minutes later more substitutions followed, Ervine replaced Lewis for Hedinghams and Bethell (D) replaced Harrington for West Bergholt. Another long clearance from keeper, Wells fell nicely to Gillam, standing on the penalty spot but with no time to think he could only head the ball on to opposite keeper, Bethell (L), then Murrells found Bethell (B) who sent a high curling ball towards keeper, Wells who also made a fine save to deny Murrells who latched on to a pass from Bethell (J).

At the same end, Chandler was played into trouble by a casual back-pass and in attempting to retrieve the situation he fouled Bethell (B) to earn the only caution of the match with ten minutes remaining, Pyman wriggled his way through only for keeper, Bethell (L) to meet him just on the edge of the penalty area, Pyman then found Webb who tested keeper, Bethell (L) with rising shot from outside the penalty area, better from the home side but far too late to affect the result. In the penultimate minute Kiley sent in a cross finding Bethell (B) but Pullinger headed wide for a corner, this time taken by Bethell (D), long to the far post where LIAM SPRINGETT drifted in to send a fine header past everyone standing on the goal-line. Hedinghams did have the last attack of this one-sided match, Webb and Pyman got the ball wide to Clifford who shot wide, summed up the home teams evening I suppose!


FULL TIME:     0 – 6.


As I have just said, West Bergholt dominated this match almost from the start and scored at regular intervals, their first was well taken by Weir, the fifth came from pure persistence by Keeble and the last by Springett, was fine header from a corner kick, otherwise the visitors were gifted three goals from poor defensive play. That said, West Bergholt kept up a high tempo throughout never giving the home team any time on the ball which led to mistakes and goals.


Now for my Player-of-the-Match choice, for Hedinghams, perhaps only keeper, Wells, who despite making mistakes, stuck to his task, but for West Bergholt a concerted, mean, team effort got them back to winning ways, but for me the direct running of Weir stood out, I’ve seen him do it for Belle Vue over two seasons in the lower divisions this year it seems he can give Premier Division teams a cause for concern.





Colours:                        Red & Black hooped Shirts, Black Shorts and Red & Black hoped Socks.

Clarke Wells., Harry Loe., Joe Lewis., Oliver Breedon., Jamie Chandler., Sam Jones., Ashley Taylor., Barrie Pullinger., Craig Gillam., Alec Pyman (C)., Oliver Clifford.


Manager:                      Gareth Nolan

Used Substitutes:          Thomas Wilson., Daniel Webb., Scott Ervine.

Unused Substitutes:      Bailey Lakhabhai.




Colours:                        Blue Shirts, Blue Shorts and Blue Socks.

Luke Bethell., Liam Springett (C)., Connor Davison., Anthony White., Nicholas Farthing., Dan Keeble., Jake Bethell., Bobby Bethell., Jack Harrington., Lee Townrow., David Weir.


Manager:                      Christopher Tracey.

Used Substitutes:          Darren Bethell., Jack Kiley., Johnny Murrells.

Unused Substitutes:      Gareth Gibson., Gavin Hannah



Referee:                       Michael Jarvis               (Braintree)

Assistants:                    Keith Barron                 (Boreham)

and                              Derrick Packer               (Pebmarsh)



Player-of-the-Match:            David WEIR    (WEST BERGHOLT FC)




Additional Reporting – FACEBOOK (x2) & TWITTER



This season the ESBFL is widening its match-day reporting coverage, in addition to a full report written by Brian Reed, the league has enlisted the help of a young volunteer, Spencer Hume, who will also attend games using Facebook and Twitter to communicate up-to-date information and replicate other match reports, please make him welcome.





Reminder to Club / Fixture Secretaries


Once again this season the fixtures, results, referees and “kick-off” times will be shown automatically on “The FA Full-Time / The Whole Game System” ( ) but would all Club / Fixture Secretaries please advise any agreed changes, as required, to Alison Willmore ( ) especially for evening games and for those matches being played under floodlights etc.


KO is 3:00pm from:         September to October

KO is 2:00pm in:              November, December & January

KO is 2:30pm in:              February

KO is 3:00pm from:         March to end of season


Cup Matches:

Kick-Off times for ESBFL cup matches, are generally 30 minutes earlier than those shown above but check competition rules beforehand.


Kick-Off times for Essex County Football Association cup matches are published on the ECFA web-site.

( )




ESBFL “web-site”


The web-site for the Essex & Suffolk Border Football League is:


Clubs are reminded that the following documents are all available on this website under Clubs / Documents etc:


ESBFL Handbook,

Player Registration Sheet,

Player “Signed-On-Match-Day” Form,

Player Transfer Form,

Match Postponement Form,

Referee – Low Mark Form

Leave a Reply